1. Health

KFC Restaurant Run by Deaf People

By January 15, 2007

Doing some leisure web reading, I came across this gem: an article about a KFC restaurant in Pakistan run entirely by deaf people. Too bad the article didn't say exactly where this restaurant is - it would be an interesting stop for deaf travelers.

An About visitor wrote: The KFC resturant is at Karachi Pakistan. It is on the main University Road, Gulshan-e-Iqbal Karachi. No one can miss it. The University Road and Gulshan IQbal is famous area in Karachi and Pakistan.

Do you know of any other chain restaurants run entirely by deaf people?

Comments
January 15, 2007 at 6:40 pm
(1) RLM says:

The “KFC” restuarant run by deaf people in Pakistan is very old news! Is this the KFC website telling the whole truth about the KFC franchise unit being completely run by deaf people??

I do not see such a big deal about deaf people running the entire enterprise like the “KFC”. I do not like the use of “hearing-impaired’ term within the Pakistan’s KFC website. It is surely offensive to many of us, deaf people.

I rather see more deaf people being employed within companies whose pay decent salaries and cultural embraceness like the BOH (Booz, Allen and Hamilton) in Tyson Corner, VA.

Robert L. Mason (RLM)

January 15, 2007 at 8:45 pm
(2) R says:

Robert, Pakistan is not the United States. Employment opportunities for the deaf in Pakistan are slim to none. At least KFC gives these deaf Pakistanis the opportunity to prove themselves they are capable of running an enterprise like a fast-food restaurant in Pakistan and dream their big dreams for the future.

Instead of bitching too much, why not apply for Booz, Allen and Hamilton to prove yourself to the deaf community. Lead by example or shut up.

Have a nice evening.

January 15, 2007 at 10:54 pm
(3) Dianrez says:

Hopefully the Pakistani readers of this blog will correct me. This restaurant is located in Gulshan, a subdivision of Lahore, Pakistan. If this is the right address, this restaurant is located in a heavily Americanized city that earns a large part of its revenue by accepting outsourced computer work from the USA.

January 16, 2007 at 3:03 am
(4) Richard says:

Just to clarify for the above posters, there are now 3 KFC outlets in Pakistan run primarily by the Deaf:
1 in Karachi in Gulshan Iqbal,
a 2nd in Lahore on the Mall Road,
and a 3rd in Rawalpindi.
Each restaurant is staffed by the deaf, with one hearing manager on duty for customer assistance.

Our organization, Family Educational Services Foundation, assisted in organizing this project in collaboration with KFC. We are running a school and training center here for deaf children and adults called “Deaf Reach Training Center.” The majority of the employees at KFC come from our Center.

This project has had wonderful results in 2 areas: First, it has provided employment for nearly 100 young deaf adults. It is extremely difficult for the Deaf to find employment in Pakistan, so this has been a great opportunity.
Secondly, it has created a good deal of public awareness of the needs of the Deaf. Again fulfilling a big need in this country.

We have recently launched a new Job Opportunity program with a large local pharmaceutical company, in which they will also employ deaf people. This likewise has great scope to provide opportunities for the Deaf to succeed.

I hope this serves to clarify any questions or misunderstandings, and please feel free to write to me with any further questions.

Sincerely,

Richard Geary
Project Director
FESF

January 16, 2007 at 11:18 am
(5) mcconnell says:

Well, I was a manager for Domino’s Pizza running and operating the store, including the phones. That was 14 years ago. Glad to get out of that rat race.

January 16, 2007 at 9:20 pm
(6) rg007 says:

You ain’t alone, McConnell… I worked at a Pizza Hut as delivery driver for 7-8 years. I got to know the area and district managers as well as the CEO of delivery operations *AND* delivered to the CEO, David Novak, to his home. That plus helped out on deliveries at times with a few of the local area stores. A lot of the time, I was the only deaf driver in the entire east end of the city.

I was often known for breaking the rules. Once I banished my assistant manager to the back room so I could deal with a very pissed off customer. That could have gotten me fired but my saving grace was how I handled it and the fact that the asst manager was nearly ready to deal with the customer in the wrong way.

Do I want to go back? Like you, I’ve had enough. 10 years of food service was enough for me. I still use food service methods in my own kitchen…

January 19, 2007 at 8:46 pm
(7) Leticia Vailes says:

HoneyBaked Ham Company in Jackson has many deaf /hard of hearing employed.
The owner a former Speech Therapist require hearing employees to learn basic sign language!!!!!

January 19, 2007 at 8:48 pm
(8) Leticia Vailes says:

Honeybaked Ham Company is located in Jackson, TN.

January 19, 2007 at 9:51 pm
(9) zan says:

Anyone been to Pakistan or India? Geez I was shocked how badly the co. isolate, deny, and take advantage of deaf. Women- forget it. The sexism was so rampant I had my brother order food and such for me. I hope that the Pakistan really is a fair job without imposed conditions like must be a certain religion or “Uncle Tom”?

January 20, 2007 at 12:17 am
(10) R.J. says:

Hmmm, methinks the R person above is attempting to make a take. But guess what, I may be a little blunt, but I’m never stupid or nasty for no reason. Don’t put any Rs anywhere. Anyway, my opinion is that KFC is just a fast-food restaurant and if someone needs to work there, fine. The real test of Deaf workers is in the professional offices. I know that there are many HOH people that work in professional offices, even as supervisors, but we don’t usually say that we are Deaf and inwardly giggle about our great lip-reading ability.

January 20, 2007 at 3:12 am
(11) Smiler says:

A couple of hearing managers should not use the name of Hearing Impaired term in Pakistan’s KFC on the website. This word is according to hearing doctors’ and scientsí innovation in the world. That is not our deaf community’s idea. Yes, it is very discourteous to all of Deaf human beings and me.
I am sure the Deaf Pakistanis are not aware of Deaf Culture and political society. That is explaining, they are reticent and tolerate the hearing society to call them “HI”. Who are willing to become Deaf leaders and give their presentation to hearing Pakistanis in Audience??
I am a student of Fine Art in senior year taking a major in Fine Art and an independent Deaf Studies including political society and environment.

January 24, 2007 at 8:59 pm
(12) Irly says:

Regardless what ppl have to say. I think it is a great start for them esp its already hard enuff to show yourselves that deafies can do whatever they set their minds to. Give them a chance to move up the latter.. My first job at 15 years old was McDonald’s and now I am OCS Transitional Coordinator at a deaf school. Go ON KFC employees-show the hearies what you all are capable of! I also have to praise a female works there too as the culture is pretty much oppressed against females..

March 3, 2007 at 7:10 pm
(13) Laura says:

We need resturants in the USA that are run by deaf people- I don’t even eat meet, but I would go to a KFC for the potatoe salad and corn if it was run by deaf people.

June 22, 2007 at 8:41 am
(14) Andy says:

Hello,
There is also a KFC in Cairo run and staffed by deaf people, its near the Sheraton Cairo. If you cross the roundabout outside the Sheraton and head doen the samll road next to the petrol station you will find it on your right. As with Pakistan, job opportunities for deaf people are extremely limited, so I think that places like this should be applauded, they are a lot more enlightened than the rest of society there.

June 25, 2008 at 10:08 pm
(15) S Roy says:

Any deaf person(s) own the fast food or some sort of franchise in USA? I’m looking into the possibility of owning the franchise here. The franchise consultant tells me that I need a hearing person as a spokeperson in my behalf. He also says that owining fast food or restaurnat isn’t a good choice here as it involves overhead costs like employee salary, food prepeartion etc.

August 27, 2008 at 3:52 am
(16) uXuf says:

Let me put a few things in perspective. Karachi, Lahore and Rawalpindi are not “americanized” cities, but rather modern, bustling metropolises which sustain themselves by other means than only surviving on outsourced work.

At least the Karachi restaurant is staffed by deaf-and-dumb people, or speech impaired.

It is a good effort ahead, in a country where people not necessarily discriminate against, but just don’t care about disabled people.

And FYI Irly, the “female oppression culture” is just hogwash. I have seen many ladies working as even managers across many KFCs, McDonalds, Pizza Huts etc.

October 14, 2008 at 5:29 am
(17) fareed says:

Its easy to say but hard to implement such intiatives.Honoured to be a part of KFC Pakistan. And as far as the restaurant is concerned its on MALL ROAD Lahore.

February 5, 2009 at 4:11 pm
(18) Ahmad says:

The KFC I know is in Lahore which is completely run by deaf people. It is on Mall Road, Lahore

November 24, 2009 at 6:34 am
(19) Wali Ul Islam says:

Make it clear that Paksitan has 3 KFC bracnhes run by deaf ppl.

December 29, 2009 at 9:15 pm
(20) Ali says:

Guys… just to make it known that I have written several times to KFC in Pakistan congratulating them on thier efforts and telling them how proud I was as a British Pakistani to see equal opportunities in Pakistan and that KFC was at the forefront of this.

Everytime I go to Pakistan (Lahore), I always take some gifts for my friends at the Mall Road KFC even though they dont know me personally. Its just a great feeling seeing these guys working there and gives inspiration to all.

Well done KFC and well done Pakistan – something good from Pakistan at last!!

January 19, 2010 at 9:57 pm
(21) Jessica says:

The first KFC deaf-operated is in Malaysia since 1980s. It has 3 fully-deaf operated restaurants in Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur, Sabah & Sarawak). Singapore has 3 branches since 2003. Egypt has one – Cario (i never went there).

April 26, 2010 at 7:22 am
(22) Ahmer Butt says:

The first ever KFC (run by deaf and dumb staff), in Pakistan, was started in Karachi on University road just opposite to the Urdu Federal University..

I enjoy being there as I find the staff so competent and better than many of other KFC which are run by Normal people..

Staff is so dedicated, cooperative, and kind..

just love that place..

November 9, 2011 at 12:07 am
(23) A Y Ishak says:

It was actually first started in Malaysia in 1986 and now there are 6 such outlets through out the country.

Kindly visit : http://www.kfc.com.my/about-milestone.php

KFC Malaysia also empowers single mothers to become entrepreneur and be part of their business value chain. By the year 2012 they plan to assist 1000 single mothers.

January 8, 2012 at 3:51 am
(24) Nabeel says:

An addition in the restaurant which are being ruining by the hearing impaired team is KFC ALLAMA IQBAL TOWN, LAHORE. 0322-4230295..