1. Health

Ideas for Sign Names for Child?

By July 11, 2007

An About.com visitor wrote:
"We are the parents of a developmentally delayed, hard-of-hearing boy. We are about to introduce a fost/adopt child into the family who is 00 months old. We are trying to think of a name sign for the little guy. His name is X. We know basic sign, but don't want to pick something that may already be a sign. Would you have any suggestions for easy-to-do, easy-to-remember signs? Maybe starting with an X.

Also, we are just known as mom and dad to our son, do we need to make up signs for our names too??? Our son does around 130 words....as he is pretty delayed (but well loved, of course)."

***
My response was: "I suggest using the "X" and putting it on a part of the face or body." Do you have any better suggestions for parents trying to come up with name signs for their children?

This parent also told me that there was only one school she was aware of that would take developmentally delayed deaf children.

Related article on About.com: Sign Names

Comments
July 11, 2007 at 10:31 pm
(1) Name Sign says:

Many name signs are not kosher given to deaf children by older students are not kosher. Were I a parent or a teacher, I would spell out the child’s given name. Suppose his given name is John. I would spell out John. If other students have the same given name “John”, I would spell out the first letter of John’s last name.

July 12, 2007 at 12:55 am
(2) C says:

However, many deaf parents do give name signs to their child and later on they get a new name signs from their friends. It works fine that way. Because that child is developmentally disabled, I’d say go for it..give him a name sign create one for you and your spouse. X is kind of hard…maybe X on the heart area to indicate that he is very loved? I’m HOH from a Deaf family so, It really isn’t a big deal. I have deaf neice and nephews, they had name signs created by their deaf parents and later on it changed when their peers gave them theirs.

July 12, 2007 at 7:33 am
(3) Anonymous says:

I recommend that the young boy be treated just like any normal healthy human being. Talk to him like you would any human being even if you have to repeat or slow down. God is a healer and the boy can be healed if you want him to be. Don’t treat him any different. As for name signs, just create a name sign. There are millions of people with the same name, so no modifications are made unless they use their middle name or abbreviate it, etc. So, “X” is unique, so the young lad should know his name sign once he is taught it. Continue to believe the boy will succeed in life, even if it takes longer than normal. He will succeed!

July 13, 2007 at 1:51 am
(4) Deaf Caretaker says:

I like the X on the heart. Besides connotating that he is well loved, it is simple and has no other meaning. Using X on the face could get into misunderstanding as “sex” is also X signed on the head in various ways.

July 14, 2007 at 3:54 am
(5) Gally82NYU84 says:

X on the heart sounds wonderful and unique!

My sons name starts with a “J” but we sign his name with 2 tugs on the right ear, cuz that was something he used to do as a baby. So you could give him something that reflects his habits or personality.

I second teaching him spelling of his name and friends and family names as soon as he is old enough to comprehend finger spelling. too many deaf kids have no idea of what their friends actual names are only the signs. This becomes problematic if they are trying to identify someone you dont know.

July 25, 2007 at 10:14 am
(6) librarian says:

There’s also a book available called “Book of Name Signs: Naming in American Sign Language.” It’s helpful as it provides “rules” to follow when creating name signs.