1. Health

MRSA Infection in the Ear?

By September 11, 2007

Lsalzer, a member of the About Deafness forum, asks on the forum if anyone has ever had a MRSA infection in the ear.
Read responses to Lsalzer's question and add your own.

Comments
October 9, 2007 at 4:09 pm
(1) Susan says:

My 5 year old daughter has MRSA for about 4 weeks not. She had ear tubes put in almost 3 months ago along with her touncills and adnoids taken out. Her right ear tube is totally blocked with the MRSA on the other side. She had huge amounts of draining before it became blocked and it was analyzed as MRSA. We will be going back to her ENT on Thurdays for a 2nd vacuum of her ear. They are hoping to loosen up the tube and it will fall out and then the ear will drain. I am very afraid she will become deaf. I don’t understand why they just don’t remove the tube themselves, drain the ear, pack it and pt her on more antibiotics. She is now on Bleph (eye drops) drops for her ears because the consistancy is lighter than ear drops and the body should absorb it. It does not so far, as soon as she sits up, the fluid drains out from the closed up tube. She has a high pain tollerance and complains only of thunder and lightning in her brain and crackling in her ears. I feel her doctors are not doing enough for her but at the same time – I am at their mercy for help. I’ll add you to my prayers list.

February 15, 2008 at 10:10 am
(2) Dominic says:

The point about MRSA is that these types of infections have evolved to become resistant to most antibiotics. New antibiotics are being developed & can be used. See some useful information on the BUPA pages http://www.bupa.co.uk/health_information/html/health_news/090305mrsa.html

July 6, 2008 at 12:44 am
(3) Crystal says:

I have had MRSA in the left ear several times now. Every time I get an infection like that in my ear the pain get’s worse and worse each time the infection occurs. I now have another infection which was brought on suddenly (with in a couple of day’s) and I fear that MRSA is also to blame for this one as well. I have not seen a doctor for this one fearing that I will be either given a stationary IV,or put back in the hospital for interv. IV and pain management. The pain I have right now I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy. What should I do? Someone please give me some advice.

September 30, 2011 at 11:44 am
(4) Jessica says:

Hello. I deeply feel you should be seen right away. You will spread it to others without even knowing or intending to be doing it. MRSA is very contagious and thrives in places you would never imagine. I would say that refusing to be treated is basically a crime, morally and probably legally some places.

November 9, 2008 at 10:12 pm
(5) gina says:

My husband has had MRSA in his ear for over a year. the only thing they have given him is Cipro Dex ear drops. He has been very sick for 2 weeks off balance, dizzy Sweats,chills. we were told that when the MRSA gets into the bone then they will go in and clean it out. WHY WAIT. He has never been put on IV antibiotics. His doctors have done nothing to try and get rid of it except for the ear drops

May 12, 2011 at 9:42 am
(6) Emily says:

I have a three year old little boy that for two years now has been on all the antibiotics i can think of. He went to the doctor 37 in 2010 and never once was his blood taken or a culture done on any of the infections. Finally after being treated for an ear infection for 4 weeks, the did a culture. And it came back positive for MRSA. Now we were given another anitbiotic, BACTRIM and if it is not better in five days they are going to put him in Children’s Hospital in Oklahoma City for IV meds. And possible surgery to get the tubes out. I want them out but I will probably have to fight with another doctor. I am just sick of seeing my kid be in so much pain and the damn doctors acting like it is not a big deal. I bet if it was their child they would be on top of it. This has been a lawsuit waiting to happen..

October 17, 2011 at 10:39 pm
(7) Jennifer says:

Now that I have just read this I wish I would of seen this before.. You need to go to an ID doctor.. They DO NOT mess around. My 1 year old has been threw the ringer and back with ear problems. 7 moths old with mastoiditis and now just diagnosed with MRSA last week. I moved to KC and went to a ENT doctor here and was told just to do the Bactrim, I just had a feeling it wasnt right so I drove back home to Omaha, NE and made an appointment with her ID doctor and she infact did state that the tube needed to come out cause the MRSA hides in and under the tube. She was placed in the hospital with IV’s again and placed on Zyvox..
Zyvox is a VERY expensive drug but is the best in the world I was told. They use it as a last resort!! She is not on a picc line with in home infusion treatments.. (which are very easy) But I have been to 6 ENT doctors and have yet to find a single one I like and or even trust.. ANYONE WITH THIS INFECTION NEEDS TO BE SEEN BY A I.D. DOCTOR!!

January 23, 2009 at 4:04 pm
(8) Sharon says:

I was just diagnosed with MRSA in my ear, and I was shocked! Like Susan’s daughter, I must have a high pain tolerance as I never had severe ear pain to indicate infection – just persistent drainage. I’d wake up in the morning with ears that felt as if I just stepped out of a pool. I thought I had a “pimple” of sorts that was seeping oil, but when my “pimple” didn’t clear up on its own I went to my doctor who ordered a culture and confirmed MRSA.

I’m starting tetracycline ear drops for 10 days, hopefully that will take care of my MRSA. Best of luck to everyone else with their treatments {hugs}

January 29, 2009 at 3:25 pm
(9) Anita says:

My 21 mos old daughter has been battling Mrsa in her ear for 6 weeks now. The ENT just made the decision to go in and remove the tube in her right ear and clean out the infection. I even went for a 2nd opinion. I highly reccomend your doing the same. She has been on batrum orally and gentamicin 3% ( an eye drop used in the ears to fight Mrsa) for 4 weeks. I am not looking forward to the surgery BUT am glad that ultimately the infection will be gone.

February 2, 2009 at 1:08 pm
(10) TyraNee81 says:

I was just diagnosed with MRSA in my ears and nose because I finally seen an ENT who decided to do a culture on the junk in my ears that I have had for over 3 years now! I have had docs give me fungal cream and drops and creams for eczema all to no avail and no wonder why! I have also now been sick everyday for about 8months and a lot of it can be explained by MRSA! I’m hopeful that this course of antibiotics and cream wiil kill it but I’m not sure of course….

February 8, 2009 at 5:29 am
(11) greg says:

i have had mrsa in my ear for 2 years on going if u r haveing this prod ask your doc to put you on bactrim or zyvox it helps. drops will not do any thing the only thing is every time i stop takeing the meds a week or two later it comes back if anybody els is haveing the same prb wright in i dont no what more to do and keep water out of the ear at all times if u dont it will bring on mrsa.

March 2, 2009 at 3:36 am
(12) chrissy says:

My husband has had MRSA for almost a year now in his ear. He recently had a tube put in his ear and I think it has made things worse. He was on 21 days of Zyvox..and a week later he was MRSA positive. Now the doc has him on a 3 month supply of Bactrim. It is effecting his life and job tremendously. The doc suggested seeing his ENT, but the ENT says he can’t do anythng. He’s an ass and says he don’t believe it’s MRSA b/c it’s so rare in the ear. Obviously tell him to read this board, I’m not the only one who has a family member to be going through this. My 5 year old and 2 year old have both broke out with MRSA “boils” on their butts. They for fortunate and it was treated with Bactrim. My husband on the other hand wants to kill hisself and doesn’t know what to do anymore. Any suggestions or advice would greatly be appreciated! My hearts are out to everyone. I work in a hospital and I blame myself for bringing this hospital aquired MRSA into my house ):

October 5, 2011 at 4:13 pm
(13) misty says:

Have your primary care doctor give you s referral yo see an infectious disease specialist. That’s what they did for my husband and they. Got his cleared up

March 3, 2009 at 8:34 pm
(14) Jill Ham says:

My 8 year old daughter was diagnosed with MRSA in her left ear on Christmas Day. Since then we have had MRSA in both ears and had both of her tubes removed. We have been on every imaginable antibiotic and ear drop, ciprodex,etc.and a very high dose ear/eye drop called Vigamox. We have had both ears drained and the tubes removed and paper patches put on the holes that the tubes left, so the patches will heal them. 2 weeks after the surgery, her ear is draining again and she is in alot of pain. We have one of the best ENT’s at Scottish Rite in Atlanta, and her culture from the new drainage just came back and is MRSA positive again. He has called in a compound poweder that you blow into her ear, like baby powder. You can only get this from a compound pharmacy from your ENT. So, please do not believe that taking the tubes out will cure any infection, we are proof that it will return. We are awaiting the doctor’s personal call to see what our next steps are. Please, do not continue to see your primary care physician! The ENT, will also tell you this! MRSA in the ear is not something to take lightly and an ENT needs to be called, they unlike general physicians specialize in the ear and know first hand how to treat the ear!

March 10, 2009 at 4:55 pm
(15) Jessica says:

My two year old got MRSA in her ear, I didnt know anything was wrong with her untill gunk started draining out of her ear and smelled really bad! she didnt cry like she was in pain or have a temp. we are going to an ENT next Tuesday. But when I took her to her PCP they didnt seem to make it a big deal… Should I be worried? Can spread and make her sicker? I thought MRSA was a big deal!

September 30, 2011 at 12:05 pm
(16) Jessica says:

MRSA is an ifectious disease. It spreads and can be a killer, especially to the younger and older population.

March 17, 2009 at 7:24 pm
(17) Marc says:

I’m a 49 yr. old male and was diagnosed with MRSA in my right ear over 2 weeks ago. This is also the same ear that I’ve had tubes in for the past 6 years. When the drainage from the ear initially started my doctor prescibed Ofloxacin drops and Cipro orally. Neither had any effect. Once he took a culture and realized it was MSRA he switched me to Acetic Acid drops and SMZ/TMP orally for 10 days. The drops tend to take care of the drainage although not entirely and every few days it is blood that drains from the ear. After seeing the ENT doc again today, he stated my ear was getting better although it’s still “blocked” and every few days he has to vaccum my ear and the tube. I’ve read on here that possibly removing my tube may help resolve the MRSA infection. Has anyone else found that to be the case?

May 8, 2009 at 11:31 pm
(18) Thelma says:

My child is 10 now. He had tubes put in his ears at the age of 6 months. Several days later, a foul-smelling drainage started. we went through 54 botles of antibiotics and 54 dr. visits. When he turned 2 1/2 , he collapsed and I took him to ER. For the 1st time, his drainage was cultured, and it grew MRSA. He was hospitalized and given vancomycin drip for 2 weeks along with other medications. He lost 8 pounds is 2 weeks. We are so lucky that hemade it! We were told that it was extremely close to the mastoid bone. It would have gone to his brain if it had crossed into that area. I will nver take any procedure lightly again! You take your child for simple tube insertion and the MRSA you get from unsterile instruments or hands almost kills him. My child went through hell!!! I was told that there is an 85% chance of recurrence at some point when there is some sort of injury. I pray everyday that he will never have to go through this again.

June 1, 2011 at 11:18 pm
(19) rose slater says:

I think my 6 yr old daughter may have this? please I am begging you! she has had these similar outbreaks for over a year. And her docs dont do anything. this outbreak that started yesterday is huge. a giant puss bubble on the out side. can you or someone please help me !!!
Rose SLater
480-280-3136
roseandstellaslater@gmail.com

June 4, 2009 at 9:40 am
(20) Sarah says:

I am actually writing from the hospital, where my 21 month daughter has been for four days. She has had ear infections constantly for over a year, and I asked her PCP if it could be staph because it’s so common where we live. He laughed, and told me it wasn’t even possible. Well, she had tubes put in three months ago, and about a week later, she started having really smelly discharge from both ears. The finally cultured it a month ago and it was MRSA. They put her on bactrim twice and removed the tubes, and when she started running a fever and was still draining, they admitted her to the hospital. She has been on Vancomycin for four days and still is having the stinky drainage, and yesterday her fever shot up. She’s having her adenoids taken out tomorrow, so we’re hoping at some point something will help.

June 11, 2009 at 7:39 pm
(21) Crystal P says:

I’ve been battling MRSA for quite some time now. I have been on every antibiotic under the sun and the sores go away and a few days later, there they are again. I recently got it in both ears and I am completely miserable. Just so everyone knows, by this time if you have been treated already, you’re probably never going to get rid of it so read up and learn how to protect the people around you.

August 17, 2009 at 1:44 pm
(22) Tricia says:

3 years ago I was diagnosed with MRSA in my right ear. It started with an ear ache and then I had tubes put in. After a year and half of suffering with constant headaches, ear drainage and feeling like I was imagening things….my ear was finally cultured (I insisted). MRSA- well I am allergic to bactrum, pennacillian, and sulfa based drugs. Infection went to the mastoid and I had a mastoidectomy. Everyday I worry …do I have it again. I know my ENT thinks I’m crazy…but I am starting with headaches again and slight fevers….no earaches. Hopefully it will go away.

October 20, 2009 at 9:37 pm
(23) Shavonne says:

I have a 3 year old boy who has been battling ear infections since he has been 6 months old. My son had his first set of tube when he was 9 months old. He continued to have drainage and ear infections. Then he did his second set of tubes with adnoids taken out when he was 2 years old. For the past 8 months he has had drainage, mostly from the right ear. The pediatric doctors think that he had drainage because the tubes are letting the infection drain out. I asked that he be seen by a ENT. We went to the ENT on Sept 16th and he did a culture and vacuumed his ear. At this time we also found out the he didn’t have tubes in either ear. His ear drum had a whole in it and that why he had the drainage not from the tubes. On Sept 19th the culture came back as MRSA. My son to antibiotics for 10 days and it didn’t help him at all. We went back to the ENT on Sept 30, the ENT vacuumed his ear again. He seemed to think that the drainage for the past 8 months was MRSA. My son started taking bacterium. He took this for 10 days and on the 10th day has a allergic reaction to the medicine. We went back to the doctor today and both of his ears are infected. My child has struggled most of his life with ear infections and we haven’t found anything at this time to stop the infection. Please pray for my child. My prays go out to everyone that is struggling as well!!!!

September 27, 2011 at 4:05 pm
(24) pat whitaker says:

take your child to an infectious disease doctor for further treatment. If I had stayed with my ent, I would probably be dead now. I had MRSA in my frontal sinuses and wasn’t treated at all by the ent. I just compledted 8 weeks of daptomycin Iv and am feeling great, after being sick for a year. Hopefully this monster will stay gone. go to an infectious disease doc!!

October 22, 2009 at 8:05 pm
(25) anne says:

Shavonne, Please be persistent with your Drs. I was very ill with MRSA. After 4 visits and 25 pounds lost in only 4 weeks we left my Dr and went to the hospital. I was admitted for 2 weeks. The different antibotics the Dr was giving me was making me very sick one being Bacterium. The only thing that saved my life was an IV medicine called Vancomycin. I was on it for 14 days. Not fun but a life saver. You need to be your own advocate sometimes. You and yours are in my prayers.

October 31, 2009 at 7:41 am
(26) Maria says:

I’ve been fighting MRSA in the ear or about a year now. The head aches , phantom noise and thick mucus draining was and is bad enough but or the last month I have developed a sore inside my right nostril and my right eye is blood shot and painfull. I’ve read some of the postings , will demand hospital and IV.

November 6, 2009 at 5:10 pm
(27) amanda rinaldi says:

I have also been at war with MRSA for over 6 years now with many surgeries under my belt. I have had several rounds of vancomycin and Clindamycin.(I.V)I have so far lost 90% hearing in one ear and 70% in the other. I notice that ear tubes are mentioned a lot and wonder if the tubes could be contaminated at the manufacturer and wonder if everyone could try to find out the doctors ear tube suppliers and meet back to compare notes?

November 13, 2009 at 9:32 am
(28) Jennifer says:

My son was just diagnosed with mrsa in his right ear. He had tubes put in at the age of 7 this past April due to the fact that the fluid build up was causing hearing loss. Ever since the surgery he’s been having infections including coming out of surgery. He was automatically put on ear drops and since been on several courses of antibiotics. A ct scan has been done and the culture has come back positive for mrsa. I’m scared. Will this permanantly efect his hearing and if it is the tubes causing it why doesn’t the dr. just take them out and “start fresh”? ……………..

November 13, 2009 at 12:14 pm
(29) Dennis says:

I’ve had ear problems, tubes, etc. most of my life and was recently diagnosed with MRSA ear infections. Nothing seemed to work so now I’ve had a PIC line inserted in my arm and must take IV doses of CUBICIN daily for about 6 weeks, followed by oral antibiotics. I’ve been taking this for 7 days with no improvement so far. The DR. tells me it probably will not kill the infection but may give temporary releif.

December 17, 2009 at 10:02 pm
(30) Anonymous says:

My thoughts are with everyone who has left comments. It is astonishing how nonchalant Doctors (and I use that term loosely) are with this nasty EPIDEMIC. Shame on every Doctor that has ever forgone a simple culture. I am so sick of the medical profession in this Country, are there any more real Doctors left?

April 5, 2010 at 2:33 pm
(31) Jennifer says:

I am shocked to hear how many other people are going through what I am going through. My daughter is 17 months old and has been diagnosed with MRSA in both of her ears. We were on 14 days of gentamicin and they put her under anestesia and cleaned the ears out and put a topical antibiotic on the area. After all of that one of the ears is still infected. We are on the second round of gentamicin but I am reluctant since it doesn’t appear to have worked all that great the first time. I am so worried that she will lose her hearing from all of this or become very sick. The hardest part is the fact that she doesn’t talk well enough to tell me if she is in a lot of pain. She is such a good girl and is just fussy a little sometimes but she could be in agony. I’m just a sad mommy that feels helpless!

July 5, 2010 at 11:38 pm
(32) Shavellesmommy08 says:

My daughter was just diagnosedw ith MRSA and Ecoli in her right ear they put tubes in 3 months ago and when i took her back because of the green ear drainage tehy cultured it and gave her ear drops and told me if it doesnt get better come back so i came back and the doctor looked at me and said yeah her infection is MRSA but it has to run its course and i went to 4 different ers around the state of nd and got mostly the same answer.Now shes on zyvox and ciprodex ear drops, her ear was cultured 3 days ago and its still mrsa and i am stuck on what to do and where to go, these doctors are treating her like its nothing to worry about but its MRSA, ive had the experience and it can kill you!! Any suggestions please help

July 10, 2010 at 4:45 pm
(33) Lisa says:

Hi everyone,
I have previously (15 years ago) had 2 operations in my right ear to remove a cholesteatoma, I am partially deaf n that ear as a result. In the last 3 years I have had 2 very bad ear infections in the ear.
This time round antibiotics didn’t seem to help so I went back to the doctor and she revealed that the results from my ear swab showed MRSA.
I am now on Gentacin ear drops and the ear is still bleeding.
My worry is that I work in the hospital and going from some of your comments it seems tricky to recover from? i’m very worried about what will happen with my job.

I’m taking lots of vitamins to try and help my immune system fight this off! Wishing you all speedy recovery-stay strong :) xx

October 20, 2010 at 1:57 pm
(34) Sarah says:

My 9 month old son was diagnosed with MRSA meningitis 3 weeks ago. His infection started as an ear infection caused by MRSA, which spread to his mastoid bone, and then eventually to his brain in the form of meningitis. He was put on iv infusions of antibiotics for a month and is doing well. Though I fear that it will return. He too displayed no sign of an ear infection, prior to us learning of it from the meningitis.

October 25, 2010 at 4:56 pm
(35) Talias mom says:

My daughter had tubes put in her ears right before she turned a year old. Must I say worse mistake. She has had so many problems with her right ear ever since. I just found out that she has MRSA in her right ear. I’m just in shock and mad at the same time. Wednesday she is having her tubes REMOVED and her ear cleaned out please pray this helps !! I think mother out here should not wait for doctors to removed these tubes we’re there parents and we should have the say !

November 5, 2010 at 6:58 am
(36) Rmumblo says:

My 6 year old son has had multiple tubes in his ears and last set was put in august 2008 and multiple ear infections since. he recntly was diagnosed with mrsa in his left ear it started draining july and hasen’t stoped yet took 3 months for them to test and find out. he has surgery set up for 11-10-10 for a mastiodectomy. his left mastiod isalmost completly full of mrsa and the inner ear is completly full of mrsa. it takes the doctors forever. i saw the family doctor today to get clearence for surgery and sue to the fact that my son is allergic to bactrim he feel he should be seen by an infection disease doctor as well. not sure what will happen with that.

November 27, 2010 at 11:51 pm
(37) Tammy says:

Hello, My name is Tammy, My daughter, now 15 suffered from Mrsa infection in her mastoid from the age of 6 months till the time she was 10. For the little ones that have this infection and has not responded to antibiotics.. Please ask to see an immunologist. My daughter was diagnosed with Benign Hypogammaglobulinemia IgG 2 subclass deficency, It is the most common immunodeficency in children it gets better as they grow but there is stuff to promote healthy antibodies. My daughter spent 8 years on IV antibiotics and tube placements and removals. also she has had 4 mastoidectomys 2 in each ear. If there is anything i can do to help please let me know. Tube removal in itself is a good thing because bacteria on the tube does not get the treatment of the antibiotic, It is inorganic so it cannot be touched. Just thought i would add my 2 cents worth.

December 1, 2010 at 9:39 pm
(38) Leslie says:

My 6 yr old son was just diagnosed with MRSA in his right ear about 3 wks ago. He had tubes placed in both ears 3.5yrs ago and the right ear has had problems ever since. My son did not suffer with ear infections prior to tube placement. The tubes were placed b/c he kept fluid in his ears which damped his hearing and he had a speech delay. I SO regret ever getting the tubes. I now feel that he has had MRSA since the tubes were placed. Over the years I have been given only Cipro drops for this ear and have several times asked for a culture b/c the discharge was so awful and foul smelly only to be blown off and told that it was the norm. Finally a month ago I demanded a culture and it was positive for MRSA. My son has been on BActrium for three weeks. The drainage did stop for about 2 weeks and has now returned. The problem is that the ent had been saying for the last several months that the ear had fungal growth not bacterial and that antibiotics created the perfect growing field for fungus. SO now he apparently has MRSA and fungus?

I am so frustrated after 3+ years of antibiotic drops, ear plugs in the bath, not allowing my son to swim to protect the ear, etc. etc. My daughter has a terminal illness and I feel guilty that I was too focused on her medical needs and not more diligent about demanding answers for my son.

I am very depressed to read other peoples lack of success in treating this.

January 17, 2011 at 2:43 pm
(39) Atallent says:

We were just told on Sunday that my 10month old daughter has MRSA in her left ear, When the Doctors office called back with the culture results all they told us was they were going to call her a new med. in we were told nothing else as to how to help with our son or husband nor myself getting this.. I’m very upset because she has had drainage going on since before Christmas we have tubes and the Dr. that put the tubes in we can not get her back in to see the doctor it is crazy and now my child is fighting MRSA it’s something that should never have gotten this far. I’m so upset but yet scared for my child she is so tiny and this is just crazy I need some advice on what could be done..

January 17, 2011 at 6:50 pm
(40) deafness says:

You may want to check out this article: http://deafness.about.com/od/audiogramsandaudiology/a/ear_tubes.htm (about ear tubes, also mentions MRSA).

February 23, 2011 at 8:41 pm
(41) April says:

My Name is April, as I am writting Is am sitting in the hospital waiting for yet another doctor to come in and tell me whats next with this. I am 37 with 3 children. This Mrsa infection is now going to take my life.
I started having hearing problems a little over 2 years ago when I went to my local ENT he said the tubes I had as a child had not fallen out and that was the problem. He said no problem… easy surgery and your hearing will be restored. Well 3 days later I could taste and smell the infection. He said it was just my senses had been hightned bc of the surgery..long story short they screwed up an put a cadavir bone without my permission that was infected with mrsa and ecoli. 7 months with with a pick line… 24/7 iv antibotics…… 5 days in icu at the end and i mean the end the hospital staff sent my kids out of the room and then told me there was nothing more they could do but keep me comfortable…needless to say and in polite terms for this post I said thats bs with a few other choice words…. I decided id have to save my own life I saw no other choice…..I found a surgan then got a second surgery but was told if it came back one more time there was little more they or anyone could do….. it would eat to my brain and I would die of mengitis…if that day came i woould need to start making plans..that day is now here 2-23-2011.
Im sitting here in the hospital starting to make plans as a single mom on what to do with my kids and make things are right before this takes my life……If you are spritual please keep me and my children in your thoughts and prayers, Megan 18, Benjamin15, and my baby Sam 13. Thank you

June 2, 2011 at 12:33 am
(42) rose slater says:

I am cying for you and feel soo much pain in my heart! God Bless you and your family! You are such a brave person!
love
rose

March 3, 2011 at 4:38 am
(43) Paula says:

My prayers are with all of you, especially you April. I too have MRSA. I was hospitalized last year for 6 weeks with a pic line delivering vancomycin, it was in the pleural sac of my lung. I now think that it may be in both ears, I see the Doc on Friday. Does anyone know if they have come out with anything new in the last six months? As far as i can tell there have not.
I close this with Peace and Love to each of you,
Paula

March 4, 2011 at 4:04 pm
(44) peggy says:

wow i haven’t looked up mrsa ear infection for awhile and was surprised at the amount of people who are suffering with this. i was first diagnosed with mrsa in my bloodstream that started in both ear canals about 7 years ago. it was some of the darkest days of my life. it literally came on instantly i had a shooting pain in my ear and from there it was all down hill!! over the next couple of weeks my ear would shoot pain, and itch. then both ear canals swelled so bad i could not hear, both ears would bleed and ooze liquid. my face along with my ears turned blue/black and was hot. i was in excruciating pain and then i started getting flu like symptoms and i would just sweat with very little exhertion. i went to 7 different drs 10 different times-nothing they said it was a simple ear infection and gave me more antibiotics! over the next 4 months i would have rather died then go on and on top of it the drs treated me like i was lying about the pain and exaggerating. i was working 40 hours a week and taking care of my kids ages 10,11, and 4 and my brothers kids who were 4 and 18 months. i was finally diagnosed and admitted immediately to the hospital and placed on vancomyacin. i have battled with this every year or so and have been hospitalized 2 more times. however i am learining to call the minute my ear hurts even a small amount and i get antibiotics started immediately.
that is actually the reason i found this site because it is back and i was doing some research for the on call dr. because he has no idea what to call in for me. good luck to all!

March 4, 2011 at 4:13 pm
(45) peggy says:

i had just left a comment and forgot some info that may help many of you with this. even though is stil get these ear infection from the mrsa every so often, they have not gotten to the point of me having to be hospitalized again because one dr. prescribed an acid that is in a dropper that i put into my ears. my ears were bleeding and oozing fluid and so swollen i lost my hearing and in more pain than you could imagine, but after one day of placing this acid in my ears they started to heal!!

March 7, 2011 at 1:56 pm
(46) Sarah says:

My son was diagnosed with MRSA Meningitis at 9 months. He was fussy for one day before we noticed the facial paralysis related to the MRSA passing from his ear, to his mastoid, and eventually his brain in the form of meningitis. He never had a fever higher than 101, even with the meningitis. We spent 12 days in the hospital, 3 in ICU, and he is now deaf in his right ear as a result of the menigitis. After hospitalization, we had to give him intravenous Vancomycin and Lineazolid for 6 weeks, 1 hour at time/5 times a day. I was an abosulte nightmare. We have since discovered that he is deaf in his right ear as a result of the meningitis, and his facial paralysis, while improved is still not completely resolved. That said, we are incredibly greatful that he is healthy and alive, and shows few signs of developmental delays or lingering issues.

The point of this story. Be persistent when it comes to these issues. My son had a lingering cold before he got sick, with just nasal symptoms. My husband and I brought him several times, and were told it was just a normal virus. He saw a doctor 2 weeks prior to his hospitlization, who made the same diagnosis. They now think he developed a MRSA sinus infection, ear infection, mastoiditis, and meningititis during that 2 week period. The mastoiditis can spread to meningitis within hours.

March 21, 2011 at 10:04 am
(47) brain says:

Hope you all found relief. Please for the people fighting this post back here with the results.

We are fightong ignorant Doctors. They ignored the fact my wife had active mrsa infections. Else where on her body. He said it was safe to do ear tubes because mrsa on the ear was uncommon. She got them in. Six week later they still hurt and drained. We asked it be cultured and tester for mrsa. It came back positive. We are now going to an ID doctor.

Good luck every body
Report back.

March 24, 2011 at 11:10 pm
(48) Tamara says:

It was really great reading all of these posts because I now don’t feel so alone. I’ve been nothing but scared today and my prayers go out to everyone who has dealt or is dealing with this.
My 6yr old had tubes put in 2yrs ago and has been doing great until 2 mo ago…an ear infection, lots of yellow & green drainage…2 rounds of anitbiotics. Then today was diagnosed with MRSA and put on another 2 antibiotics. I used to work in the health field and know how serious it can be…BUT seemed so less common back then and especially for a healthy 6yr old. So when the dr calmly told me and didn’t give me any additonal info except “Have her take these anitibiotics, send her to school as normal and come back in 2 weeks, but don’t tell the school or school nurse what she has. They will make it a big deal and not allow her back into school for awhile”…I was really shocked.
Here is my question for anyone who can help me figure this out…
Really? Should I send her to school with it being contagious? He said only if she digs in her ear to scratch or whatever then she can spread it. OK, I totally get that, but she’s 6 and has drainage, that’s all she’s been doing is playing with her poor ear as it drains all day.
My husband says send her and I just don’t know if that’s the right thing to do.
Any advise would be GREATLY appreciated!!
Tamara

March 26, 2011 at 10:11 am
(49) Rox says:

I wouldn’t send her to school. Staff members could be pregnant or other children could be extremely susceptible to disease.

What’s the reason the Doctor and your husband say to send her to school? So she won’t get behind? She’ll catch up, especially at her age. Do you miss work to stay home with her? Use FMLA. I can’t think of any other reason to expose others to this.

March 26, 2011 at 10:42 am
(50) Dianrez says:

The most important question I would ask the doctor is this: does the antibiotics make the child’s ear discharge non-contagious?

MRSA is not to be taken lightly, but neither is keeping the child out of school and impacting the mother’s livelihood if she is working fulltime.

The issue of liability also needs to be answered. If in doubt, keep the child at home and look into homeschooling as this could be a long-term thing.

March 30, 2011 at 11:45 am
(51) BB says:

Tamara,
Your concern is correct and I suspect your husband will agree when he realizes the seriousness of MRSA – Google MRSA – read the facts – this is a staph infection that is resistant to antibiotics and the drainage is HIGHLY contagious…especially to anyone pregnant, with a weakened immune system or an open cut, sore, etc.. Children in a school setting would be greatly at risk. Would you want your child exposed without your knowledge? Would you want to risk your health or the health of your unborn child if you were a pregnant teacher at school in contact with this highly contagious disease? Would you want the parent of the child with MRSA to do anything possible to protect your health, the health of your unborn child or the health of your precious little one at school?

Would money/income be an issue? Really? Can’t we be thinking beyond ourselves? Let’s be creative, perhaps we could explore together ways for you to earn money from home while your daughter is recovering.

We all need to think deeply on this and do the right thing when our turn comes.

May 4, 2011 at 1:15 pm
(52) DandiRae says:

Ive been reading these posts and i REFUSE to give up!!! my husband, a healthy 27 yr old carpet installer, has been fightin a MRSA infection in his ear for over 9 months now… (We have only been married for 14 months)… we have tried bactrim cipero and 4 others before he was hospitalized n put on IV Vanco n cipero along with drops n a ointment… it seemed to help so they sent him home on zyvox (34 days total after a refill) and still this infection still continues to kick his butt almost on a daily basis… he had 5 surgeries on the infected ear as a child including tubes twice n a radical mastoidectomy… he has had sores in his mouth nose n even a sty in his eye that swelled his entire left side of his face beyond recognition… his pcp is out of options and without insurance we seem to be out of options since no doctor is willing to work out a payment plan for us… where do u go when u r out of options and r still fighting this nasty lil bugger called MRSA??? i feel helpless!!!

May 10, 2011 at 10:05 pm
(53) ladyk says:

Below are two MRSA websites that may offer a bit of help. An avenue… to others who are at various stages of their own MRSA positive history, where many share their symptoms, treatments, support, etc.

So sorry to read about the endless number of people afflicted with this aggressive pathogenic contagion.

MRSA Discussion Forum USA and Canada http://www.mrsa-forum-usa.com/index.asp?action=list is a forum provided in association with informational website MRSA AMERICA & Beyond http://webpages.charter.net/mrsa.america_beyond/index.html

Stop by anytime, and just remember this… youíre not alone, we truly are all in this together.

Best wishes,
ladyk

May 11, 2011 at 7:38 pm
(54) naomi says:

my 9 year old son had his mastoidectomy 2 years ago and there is still a discharge in his ear and you can still see the sore please help .

May 14, 2011 at 11:32 pm
(55) sabrina says:

I was diagnosed with nasopharynx cancer nearly 6 years ago. Tubes were inserted in the left ear but not in the right ear prior to radiation. Because of the side effects from thte radiation, I have now had 8 surgeries to replace tubes in both right and left ears. Lost most of my hearing. Right ear has been most affected by the radiation, maybe because it did not have a tube originally and I have had blood with discharge since treatment. I have been on Ciprodex non stop, on augmentin and every single type of drops, antibiotics and nothing seems to work. A culture revealed it is a MRSA infection and now my ENT is suggesting surgery which would probably kill what is left of my hearing and, as the area was radiated, could prevent me from healing properly. Temporal bone has been infected for some time. Hyberaric oxygen therapy would be required but I am still worried. Has anyone been through this, following a nasopharynx cancer and if so, can you advise? Thanks!

June 18, 2011 at 12:04 am
(56) Linda says:

I am a 42 year-old woman married with children. I have been fighting a contant battle with MRSA since April of 2009. It all started with an abcess on my upper thigh. My husband took me to the ER and they opened and drained it. They packed it and sent me home. I followed up with my family doctor a few days later and he removed the packing and put more in. Again, I followed up a few days later and he removed it and left it to heal. From April to October of 2009, the wound never completely healed. I went back to him in August and he did a culture and informed me that it was in fact MRSA. I was put on Levaquin for 6 weeks, but it still had not healed. He referred me to a surgeon who operated in October and removed the entire area. I thought at this point that it was gone. How wrong I was. I have continued to have outbreaks of MRSA in different areas of my body. Currently, I have it in my left ear and under my right arm and on my right leg. This is the second time that I have had a MRSA infection in my left ear. I have asked my doctor and my ENT to send me to an infectious disease doctor and they refused. I changed doctors and he has now put me on doxycycline. I don’t understand why they are not treating it more aggressively. I canít seem to make them understand that oral antibiotics are not doing anything except treating the symptoms and not the problem. I take them and within a few weeks of stopping, I have MRSA again in the same or another part of my body. I am frustrated, not to mention mentally and physically exhausted. I have reached my breaking point and donít know where else to turn for help. I am concerned because I know that this disease can be deadly if not treated. I just don’t know where to turn anymore.

July 3, 2011 at 6:28 am
(57) kimad says:

my son is 3 1/2 years old and has been battling mrsa in his ears for the last 2 years. we finally cultured the left ear in april 2010 and it came back mrsa. i am a nurse and am very careful about preventing the spread of it but then a few months after the left ear the right ear was showing mrsa. we were referred to a pediatric infectious disease (after many bouts of oral bactrim and cipro, etc.)who said that it wasnt a big deal because it was just in the ears. he referred us to pediatric ent who has done 2 surgeries and it still comes mrsa. he has drainage most of the time but now it has become blood. his last surgery was in may 2011 and since then we have had drainage after drainage, etc. we had constant bloody drainage that stopped for almost three weeks until friday when it starting up with the blood again and worse than it has been. my question is has anyone else had blood draining from their ears? i cant seem to get anyone to listen to me. a different ID dr.(same hospital) told me that she thinks it is colonized in his ears. im not sure i believe this. i have been trying for iv antibiotics since late last summer to no avail. any advice on what else i can do?

July 13, 2011 at 7:50 pm
(58) Jenna says:

I’m so sorry for everyone and this terrible illness!!!! My little 18 month old had ear tubes 7 mths ago and has had MRSA infections since- about every other week. We are probably going to get the tubes removed. I am thinking about waiting this drainage out as it seems to be lessoning but am worried that I’ll cause her further damage. I just hate to keep giving her high doses of antibiotics because her body then becomes more and more risistant. This is so stressful. I can’t believe that there are NO success stories???

July 26, 2011 at 2:39 pm
(59) Lisa says:

It seems we all have questions but no answers! My 6 year old has had so many ear infections I lost count. She has had 4 sets of tubes, tonsills and adn. removed. FINALLY after the 4th set they cultured her ear and found MRSA (why not sooner who knows). She is terrible about taking medicine; i think because she has had so much medicine in her short life. After the correct medicine she did get better. Her last ear infection was Dec until now! Her right ear has been draining for 3 weeks and now the left is draining. The doctors tell me not to worry since it’s just in her ears. I guess I have to trust the doctors but is there something else we should do????

July 28, 2011 at 3:38 pm
(60) Carol says:

Lisa, I feel so sorry for you and your daughter, I have suffered MRSA in both my ears for 3 years now and have tried evry medication there is, I hate to tell you this, but if her left ear is starting to drain, then the infection has spread! You have to go to your GP immediately and demand that he/she sends her back to the Hospital, As for them telling you not to worry, they only say that becuase they dont understand the infection!!! Please go back as soon as possible and demand they treat her, the pain can be terrible, and her ears will crust up all over, and bleed, they can not be cleaned with water, you have to get FUCIBET cream to clean the crust. She needs to get this sorted and now,Please forgive me if I am worrying you, but as a sufferer of this, for so long, I wish I demanded treatment sooner…Take Care, I wish you all the best xx

July 28, 2011 at 3:32 pm
(61) Carol says:

I have been getting treated for 3 years now with MRSA in both of my ears, I have had the tubes, the drops, the medication, you name it, I have tried it. My ears look discusting! They have a crust build up on them regularly, and I feel so ashamed every time I visit the Hair Salon. I can not clean them due to the pain, I have yet again been told I have to back to the ENT.. as my GP told me that the tablets she can only prescribe have serious side effects!!! I am so sick and depressed with this now, I feel as though I am screaming out to my GP every month for help and they just dont care, I honestly do not now if there actually is a cure for this infection. My concern is deafness setting in, My hearing is getting worse all the time, and I am so fed up with it.. I pity any one with children who are suffering from this, I am a 45 year old female and cant understand the pain and smells from my ears. I wish you all well, and I will post any help I get from ENT on this board and hope that it may be some sort of cure….

August 22, 2011 at 5:09 pm
(62) chelsea says:

I’m 21 years old and I have MRSA in the right ear diganoised a few weeks ago, im seeing an ear throat and nose doc on the 7th, dont know what he will proscribe or do for me. I do not have draining or pain. im on minocycline for a skin infection and im on efexsor for emotional depression. i know antibiotics dont work for mrsa and i know ppl have died….i dont know how it became bad, since MRSA is a common skin bacteria everyone has it.
i just woke up with a sore throat (cold) today and i dont know if its because of the MRSA.
is MRSA that dangersous ? im very worried.

plz email me back at cp.90@live.com

September 30, 2011 at 12:10 pm
(63) jessica says:

MRSA is a antibiotic resistant super bug that humans help become a super bug by being so sterile and using antiobiotics the wrong way. It is basically SUPER STAPH.

August 23, 2011 at 5:09 am
(64) Dianne says:

45 yr. old mom of three boys who had tubes put in 3 years ago for constant left ear infections. Since then my left ear continues to get infected, but only if waters goes into my ear. Mostly pool water or ocean water, never shower water. Yesterday received call from my ENT that I have MRSA in left ear. Before he found out it was that, he had me on Cipro orally and Floxin ear drops. My ear stopped draining but constantly makes a clicking sound, like my hearing goes in and out. I go back in on Thursday for follow-up. I am having horrible stomach pains which my friend said could be due to MRSA b/c her husband had that with every staph infection in the hospital. I thought it was from the Cipro. This ear infection has been the worst one yet but still, not too much pain so thankful. The ear is always “full” and I can’t hear…allergies play a big part I know. Good luck to all of you and yours.

October 24, 2011 at 1:33 pm
(65) malo says:

my 11 yr old daughter has been batteling ear infections since january, she was constantly being placed on the same antibiotic. Finally we were sent to an ent who cultured it (imagin that) it came back mrsa she has been on bactrum noy for over a mos w gentamycin drops. The other day i noticed her lymph nodes on her neck was swoolen and also behind her ear was swollen so we went back to ent he stated if symptoms get worse such as neck pain, headache fever to call him so i did, well last nite i had to call him again because my daughter has white pus all over her swollen tonsils. Has anyone experienced this? I have an appt with ent at 240. I am scared for her why dont they just hospitalize her and start her w iv vancomycin

November 9, 2011 at 7:19 pm
(66) Stacy says:

I had been working with a co-worker who never told anyone he had MRSA. We worked closely in a lb inviroment using the same phones and eye equiptment as we are both Opticians. I have had an ear infection I had been ignoring sense July. I finaly broke down and went to the Dr. after my dose of antibiotics my ear infection came back with a vengance! I woke up last week only to find a boil on my stomache so I called my manager to ask what my co-worker had and she would not say. Today I went bck to the Dr. and am waiting on the results of my culture. My ears feel like they are on FIRE and they are constantly crackling. I have never suffered from ear infections in the past.

December 29, 2011 at 10:16 pm
(67) Nina says:

Has anyone ever tried colloidal silver? I hear good things about it. If anyone has tried it I would love to hear about it.