1. Health

Need a Text Only Cell Phone Plan?

By April 17, 2008

At the very end of this article about a deaf teenager who texts (as opposed to instant messaging), there is a mention that U.S. Cellular offers a text-only plan. I think I'll stick with instant messaging, but for those of you who have teenagers, this may be something to look into. Are there any other cell phone services that offer text-only plans?

Comments
April 17, 2008 at 11:38 pm
(1) Candy says:

Sprint (Relay Store) has Unlimted Data plan which covers text, IM, email, internet, etc all for one low price of 29.99, Not sure if you have to have Sprint phone, though.

April 18, 2008 at 8:20 am
(2) twallclimber says:

ATT mobility does offer TAP(text accessibility plan with unlimited data and 5000 texts for 29.99 or unlimited data and unlimited texts for 34.99. TAP accepts any mobiles( windows mobile) excluded Blackberry devices and iphone. TAP will accept iphone very soon.

April 18, 2008 at 11:07 am
(3) Jessica says:

TMobile is very popular among the Deaf community in Dallas and offers an excellent Data only plan for I believe 30.00 a month. It also is the only service provider which has the Sidekick, which is also very popular among the Deaf Community.

April 18, 2008 at 11:37 am
(4) RLM says:

I recently got myself a prepaid cell phone for purpose of emergency.

I only pay $6.47 dollars per month for the monthly cell phone service along with 25 cents for text communication per minute (ouch) and 10 cents for voice communication per minute.

Pros and cons about the prepaid cell phone as compared to the flat monthly wireless use among various wireless pagers.

At least, I would not worry about losing my cell phone with camera. I simply call my cell phone company to cancel my monthly phone service right away without 2 years contract.

RLM

April 18, 2008 at 12:06 pm
(5) Security DeBrief says:

On a somewhat related topic about text messaging for the Deaf Community, check out this blog posting / YouTube video about the need for improvements for emergency management systems for the deaf: http://securitydebrief.adfero.com/the-forgotten-portion-of-we-the-people/

April 21, 2008 at 10:23 pm
(6) Mikaela says:

I’m Mikaela Thepvongsa, The Girl From The Article….Does Anyone Know Of A Plan Where My Hearing Parents Can Have Voice And My Line Wtih Only Texting In Other Words A Family Plan To accomodate Family Members Who Are Hearing And Other Family Members Who Are Deaf. Like Myself. PLEASE HELP!
Thanks
Mikaela

April 22, 2008 at 11:13 pm
(7) Peggy Phillips says:

I bought a virgin mobile switch back phone with the keypad, and have a minute to minute plan. I spend about 10.00 dollars a month on top up cards and just use it for texting. you can still use it as a phone if you need to and can hook it up to a tty. It works for me and is very economical. I haven’t found anything that compares price wise. it does have a lot of hip hop themes but I just ignore all that as I am 54 years old.

April 23, 2008 at 5:11 am
(8) Cheryl Myers says:

There used to be Wynd where they had message operators and text only available for a ten dollar fee a month. Now, they are GoAmerica and they are pretty greedy, charing way more than hearing people. Most mobile plans are around 30 to 40 a month and the last I saw it was 60 a month for what used to be Wynd for only ten dollars. The greed is what turns me off and I rather do without.

April 23, 2008 at 9:35 am
(9) Maurice Lampl says:

I own Sidekick III and have email, texting and internet access for only $19.95 per month with T-Mobile… No voice plans at all.. (Don’t need ‘em, ‘cuz I’m deaf).

April 23, 2008 at 1:23 pm
(10) Ben H says:

To my knowledge, there are no Canadian cell phone companies that offer text-only plans. You have to buy a regular plan, and THEN you pay extra for the text messages.

My wife used to have a Blackberry, and had to pay through the nose for it

June 23, 2008 at 7:23 pm
(11) janet says:

is there a plan available that is text only for people who are not deaf?

June 27, 2008 at 10:32 am
(12) Blue Eyes Ina says:

I just learned this from AT&T NCCD customer service 1 866 241 6568 via Relay Service stated, they do have TAP ( Data plans program for deaf ) and also said they are expecting new IPhone coming out on July 11th. So I was unable to find out how much Iphone’s price tag due to thier other stores not open yet. I called way too early. I do not know if any of this information helps ya or not. I am also seeking info about smart phone Data Plans.

Hope ya are able to find what you need.

July 13, 2008 at 12:47 am
(13) none says:

We have a text only plan through virgin mobile. It’s unlimited for $19.99. The only disadvantage we have found is that their phones are REALLY bad and break frequently.

August 22, 2008 at 2:00 pm
(14) ChattyMel! says:

VirginMobile is the way to go! for just $10.00 a month i get calling and only 0.05 a txt! Its great!

December 17, 2008 at 5:52 am
(15) Valery says:

wow! Virgin Mobile now has unlimited texting for only $10/month. We have 7 kids, so this is the way to go for us.

December 21, 2008 at 2:19 pm
(16) Stacey Steffins says:

Hey Maurice can you tell me where to get a plan like that from T-Mobile I would love to have that plan through T-Mobile

February 20, 2009 at 12:54 pm
(17) Liz says:

As some of you may know, AT&t had the OGO, which is a fabulous data only device that is all over Europe and Asia. When Cingular took over they eliminated the OGO, no doubt because they wanted to squeeze more than the $17.00 per month plan out of their customers. Verizon is an international partner with SwissCom, who distributes the OGO successfully overseas. I have sent a plea to Verizon to bring the OGO to the States. Get online to Verizon and send a plea for the same! Look up the OGO if you don’t know it yet and you will fall in love with it. Not only is this a fabulous tool for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing community, it’s great for people who can’t afford cell phones and plans for teens or adults who’d rather just type. I believe that if enough people ask for the OGO they may change their minds!!!!

March 25, 2009 at 5:11 pm
(18) Ati says:

Hi..Im looking for cell phone that will vibrate when a text message comes in, not a short little notification vibrate, but one that will do it approximately as long as a vibrating ring would. The I have checked out a ton cell phones, and Im not having any luck in finding one that will do a long duration vibrate on an incoming text message. Does anyone have a cell phone that does that or know of anyone that has one. I would really appreciate it, if you would post the make and model. Im desperately trying to get one that my husband, who is deaf, would be able to feel for more than 2 seconds.

Thanks!

March 27, 2009 at 4:47 pm
(19) Vibro says:

Just get a vibrator. No need to wait for a text.

April 1, 2009 at 2:58 pm
(20) qwert says:

Qwertcorp.com has an unlimited text only plan for 19.99 a month

April 4, 2009 at 6:37 pm
(21) Pete says:

Get the Peek Pronto PDA. It only has text and e-mail. 20 bucks a month. No contract!getpeek.com

April 4, 2009 at 6:43 pm
(22) Pete says:

Qwertcorp does not do data or email. Peek lets you open pdf’s and word docs, text and email. All unlimited. I got mine on Amazon.

April 16, 2009 at 7:58 pm
(23) mike says:

actually qwertcorp has a $9.99 plan no contracts and u get to pick any gsm handset

June 12, 2009 at 5:33 pm
(24) mexlplx says:

I found by going to a go phone I pay $9.99 a month for 1000 text messages. As long as I dont make phone calls I am finding it very inexpensive. AT&T even has a $4.99 plan with 200 text.

July 13, 2009 at 11:19 pm
(25) susan says:

@Michaela

You asked about a family plan for speaking and hearing family members… T-Mobile u can have unlimited texting for everyone for $15 /mo and additional lines $10 /mo… we have only 400 minutes, the minimum plan, for 4 phones and we don’t even use them all. Total bill is $85 /mo for 4 phones, my favs and unl txting.

July 17, 2009 at 2:45 pm
(26) cj hetle says:

I searched for a LONG time to find a text device (cell phone) that caters to the deaf community. I found many that “say” they do, but they charge for a basic voice plan (starting at $39.99/month) and on top of that for their text/data plans. The cheapest I found was $54.00/month from T-Mobile, definitely anti-cost-effective. I then found a text only plan from Virgin Mobile $19.99 for unlimited texting. I was happy…for a second….. They’ve interrupted my service 4 times in the first month because the company was doing “computer updates” and the “updates” were having trouble recognizing payments. Every time they interrupt your service you have to get a new phone number, how convenient NOT! To contact them you call an 888 automated number, after maneuvering this for 45-60 minutes just to get a rep on the line, they have no answers, they stupidly accept responsibility, but offer no apologies, solutions or compensation….call back in 4 hours??? call back in 24-48 hours? I’m paying for all the mistakes THEY are making? What kind of business is this??
I’m definitely switching immediately, I guess that extra $40 a month T-Mobile charges is for actual service, probably not worth that much, but what’s a deaf person to do?!

July 23, 2009 at 4:29 pm
(27) Chrisishappy says:

http://www.qwertcorp.com is a text- only plan! =D no voice and no hassle its totally pay as you go 9.99 a month for 400 texts and 19.99 for unlimited! = D hope that helps!