1. Health

Just Replace "Black" With "Deaf"

By March 22, 2012

By now, almost everyone knows what happened to Trayvon Martin in Florida.  I can easily imagine a similar situation happening with any deaf person in Florida. Picture someone like George Zimmerman calling out "Hey! What are you doing here?" to a deaf person walking in the neighborhood. When the deaf person does not answer, the "neighborhood watch" person runs up, clearly irritated at being "ignored" and that there was no response and pushes the deaf person out of frustration. The deaf person, startled by the push from a stranger, instinctively reacts in a physical way. A fight starts...the "neighborhood watch" person shoots...deaf person is dead.

What I am trying to say is, the "stand your ground" law as it is now in Florida (and several other states) could easily result in the unpunished deaths of deaf people walking around innocently due to impatient, or trigger-happy, hearing people. Then those killers, if no witnesses saw what actually happened, can claim "it was self defense! The deaf person punched me!"

Florida's insane stand your ground law has got to go or be modified so it doesn't result in the unpunished deaths of innocent people, black or deaf.

Comments
March 27, 2012 at 8:39 pm
(1) melanie says:

I must admit that these thoughts have gone thru my mind a few times in my life… And I was told by the Holy Spirit to trust in Him, or Great Divinity. It’s sad how we get treated in the legal system. Really sad.
Melanie

March 27, 2012 at 9:13 pm
(2) trish says:

Yes, I agree with the article. It proves a point that it could happen to anyone whether you’re black, deaf, or any other race who lives in the neighborhood and it does not give the neighborhood watchman the right to shoot or call names because they don’t know why the person was in the neighborhood. They are supposed to know who lives in the neighborhood or call the police if anything looks suspicious; Therefore, the neighborhood watchman does not carry a badge of a security officer nor the police officer or the federal agents. This tragic incident for the young Trayvon Martin had to go through before his death, if he was calling for “Help!” call the police and help the teen or anyone who is being assaulted regardless how old the neighborhood watchman is or who is the leader. The difference in this case the neighborhood watchman is an adult and Trayvon is a minor who is a teenager which showed that the adult have no right to take a life of a young teenager who is basically just starting his life but yes learned the hard way and still lives in the neighborhood.

March 27, 2012 at 11:09 pm
(3) Mary-Anne Schmittle says:

You are soo right. I am going to look up and see if the two states I drive and walk in have that law. I know the state I live in has very liberal gun laws you can carry a concealed weapon with a license and have unregistered weapons. I live in the wild wild Midwest where it all started and still exists today.
I have been punched in grocery stores, cussed out because I can speak and it is assumed all deaf people can not speak. I have been pushed in line and several other incidents that really frightened me. I keep a lower profile now and that isn’t right. The worst has been done to me by the medical profession of which I am an RN. When I get better I am going to go around and enlighten the medical profession about how to treat and understand what it is like for a deaf person. People have no idea that you lose more than your hearing. I am be deaf but they can not hear.
Thank you so much for writing what you did I have some research to do about Kansas and Missouri.
Mary-Anne

March 28, 2012 at 2:30 am
(4) jamizan says:

hello,our dearest deaf community from all over the world.I am really feel disapointed for what had happened.There’s many more story which are not been told related the misjudgement and misunderstanding toward the deaf people.Hopefully they will get better treatment and more love from the public.Sorry to say sometimes among the normal people many of them are more ‘deaf n blind’.

March 28, 2012 at 11:09 am
(5) Dani says:

True, this could happen, but I’m tired of hearing how the poor boy was attacked. We were not there. We do not know the circumstances. I’m actually more upset that people are tweeting the wrong address of the supposed neighborhood watch guy and now old people are being threatened…people who had nothing to do with this sad event.

Why can’t the police be allowed to do their job without the public outcry. We were not there. We do not know the whole story.

Do I feel sorry for the neighborhood watch guy? In a sense, yes. He supposedly was assaulted and now is being hunted down.

Do I feel sorry for Trayvon’s death? Yes. No one should have a gun pulled on them in such an instance as this.

Do I feel anger towards the neighborhood watch guy? Yes. He was told to back off. Did he back off? I don’t know. I wasn’t there. He says he did and Trayvon came up behind him upset and attacked him.

Do I feel anger towards Trayvon and his family? Yes. Really? The mom has went to court to trademark his name? Mourn for your child’s loss. Trayvon? Did you really attack the man? Shame on you if the answer is yes. But again, I wasn’t there! I don’t know what really happened.
Trayvon’s family: Why in the world has this turned into a big media circus? Fight your battle with the police dept but not the whole nation. MOURN this young man’s death and quit putting up young, twelve year old Trayvon photos to gain sympathy. Trayvon was almost a man. Why is it that you can’t show THAT photo? Ah, because sympathies are not so strong for a young man as they are for a young boy.

Can we simply let the police do their job and if they are as corrupt as people believe, then take it up with the state, not the media!

March 28, 2012 at 11:18 am
(6) Ian says:

Florida needs to come out of the dark ages and into the 21st century NOW. The rule of the gun shouldn’t apply anywhere.

March 28, 2012 at 12:54 pm
(7) Rob Brady says:

Nice spin but Trayvon was a hearing person. The recording had Treyvon speaking with his girlfriend…Treyvon asks “Why are you following me?” and Zimmerman immediately asks “What are you doing here?”

Why didn’t Treyvon just tell him what he was doing there?

Why not just explain: “My father and I are visiting his girlfriend. She lives in that apartment complex right there. I just went to the 7-11 to get some snacks…see? Here are the Skittles and the drink. I’m going right back there….if you want, just watch me go back into the apartment.”

If he had done that, wouldn’t he still be alive today? Probably so.

March 28, 2012 at 10:53 pm
(8) candyliv says:

yes. i agree – could sooooo easily happen to a deaf person! i have a hard enough time navigating thru parking lots whilst shopping – have to be hyper vigilant, watching in all areas to be sure i don’t get hit by a car. if someone bothered to yell at me, or even honk their car horn – it wouldn’t help me.

March 29, 2012 at 3:26 pm
(9) KARENELOISE says:

Yes, Rob, but you know teens or would if you were around them and/or raised one. They are likely to respond with a cocky answer if someone challenges them suddenly. To expect them to answer maturely is kind of beyond most of them.
That said, and even though we don’t know what all happened, I do fault Zimmerman. He was told to back off by the police and if he had obeyed a legal order, nothing would have happened. If he had been in fear of his life, why did he follow and why oh why did he get out of his car? If you are in fear of your life you stay in your car. I think he let the fact he had a gun and probably watched too much TV do his thinking for him. I think a message needs to be sent. I also think trademarking your child’s name/tragedy is not showing very much grief for your child. If I had lost my son when he was that age I would still be curled up in a ball crying a month later, not trademarking his name/tragedy. Sheesh people!

April 1, 2012 at 5:28 pm
(10) Robert says:

Jeez, Rob Brady… “Nice spin but Trayvon was a hearing person.” The article was a spin?

No kidding, Sherlock. Yes, Trayvon was hearing. Read the article again. The main point and question was:

“Suppose it was a deaf person?”

…and the title of the article…

Just Replace “Black” With “Deaf”

Read the article once more… No spin here. It’s more a “what if” than a spin. And this is quite a valid concern.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I’m guessing it may have been how Zimmerman confronted him. Why did he chase? Why did he ignore the dispatcher’s saying there was no need to go after him? Why did he even have a gun when watch commanders out there don’t carry guns?