1. Health
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

How to Become a Sign Language Interpreter

Getting Terp Training


Updated May 28, 2014

Demand for sign language interpreters has skyrocketed in your area. Seeing the need, you decide to become an interpreter. Where can you go for that training, and how do you become an interpreter?

College Education

Most people who become interpreters obtain some formal training in colleges and universities. Listings of programs are available on the web:

  • The Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID) offers a long and growing listing of interpreter preparation programs in the United States and Canada. On the RID website, you can search by college name, program type (associate, bachelor, certificate, distance, or graduate), by city, and by state.
  • ASLInfo.com also maintains a listing of interpreter training programs.

Despite the abundancy of training programs, scholarships for interpreters appear to be relatively few. Some of the scholarships available for interpreters, primarily through state associations for interpreters:


After education is completed and some experience is gained, the professional interpreter-to-be must take a certification test. There is a National Interpreter Certification (NIC) certification test given jointly by the National Association of the Deaf and the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf. This test (which involves a written test, an interview, and a performance test) has three levels of certification:

  • National Interpreter Certification
  • National Interpreter Certification Advanced
  • National Interpreter Certification Master
Over the years, there has been some criticism in the deaf community of interpreter certification programs, particularly the cost involved, which has been a barrier for some people wanting to become interpreters. However, starting in June 2012, hearing candidates for interpreter certification must have at least a bachelor's degree, and starting in June 2016, deaf candidates for interpreter certification must have at least a bachelor's degree.

Additional Interpreter Training Resources

Gallaudet University offers a special Visiting Interpreter Program that allows inexperienced interpreters to benefit from being mentored by more skilled interpreters. A Visiting Interpreter Program form can be downloaded from the Gallaudet website. There is a National Consortium of Interpreter Education Centers, and you can read an interview with the leads of the NCIEC. In addition, there is a national organization for people that do the training of interpreters, the Conference of Interpreter Trainers (CIT). The CIT promotes standards, and holds biennial conventions.

Readers Respond: Unqualified Interpreters

Related Video
Common Sign Language for Babies

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.

We comply with the HONcode standard
for trustworthy health
information: verify here.