Question: Who is not a candidate for a cochlear implant
I am frequently asked by parents if their child will qualify for a cochlear implant, and adults also ask if they will qualify. Here is a list of conditions that may cause a candidate to be turned down for a cochlear implant.
- If patient has too much hearing
- If there is too much benefit from a hearing aid
- Too young (currently FDA approved for 12 months and up with a few exceptions)
- Physically can not use a cochlear implant
- Body can not tolerate surgery
- Candidate has a unilateral, not a bilateral, hearing loss