1. Health

Company Seeks to Hire Deaf

By February 11, 2007

Usually the forum carries complaints from deaf people who can't find jobs. Here's a twist: a company trying to hire deaf people but finding few takers: This is Pat with Lunarpages and i am have a hard time trying to hire the deaf and hoh. I have got ads for an Online Customer Service Rep. running on several sites including hiredeaf.com, deafprofessional.com, at the Gallaudet University,in the deaf digest, etc. and the response is minimal. Even when we resond to a resume with our questionnaire we don't get a response back. I thought my company was doing something good but it is getting very frustrating trying to hire. If you are interested or know someone who is computer savvy please check out our ad or go to our website at www.lunarpages.com/jobs or submit your resume to jobsonline@lunarpages.com. I welcome any and all suggestions on how to get the word out that Lunarpages would like to present this opportunity to the deaf and hoh community. Can someone PLEASE help me?

Comments
February 11, 2007 at 5:55 pm
(1) anon says:

At least one of the job descriptions indicates must have good oral abilities. While that’s not impossible for deaf/hoh, of course, there’s nothing in these ads to indicate why they want deaf people, why it would be a good job, in what ways they are encouraging deaf applicants, and so on.

February 11, 2007 at 9:11 pm
(2) rob says:

Technology hiring is nearly back to what it was in 2000. It’s not a deaf thing, it’s a hearie thing too. I know, I’m looking for DEAF people too — and they’re all either content with their jobs or prefer freelancing.

February 12, 2007 at 11:53 am
(3) Rox says:

That’s bull. I responded to their ad last month, got an email with questions, answered them, got another email with more questions, answered them, then they never responded again. It’s them who dropped the ball.

February 16, 2007 at 9:23 pm
(4) Tris says:

I myself responded and had simular situation as Rox ….I am like waiting for a reply after answering the emails they sent me

February 17, 2007 at 7:31 am
(5) John says:

I’m 58, deaf and getting too old to be pole climbing for a major cable firm in Vermont. My wife and I are looking to relocate to southern california. Yet, like this firm I may send emails and get no replies either. What are they looking for in a deaf person?

February 17, 2007 at 8:17 am
(6) michelle says:

i would be interested in the information about the job/Im 42 have been placed with a hearing aid work for fast food and its getting harder with my hearing declining.

February 17, 2007 at 1:35 pm
(7) Joe says:

I want JOB Give me JOB I need JOB Im deaf its hard find Job nowawdays

February 18, 2007 at 2:55 pm
(8) Rebekah says:

I would love a JOB! I am deaf in one ear and loosing my hearing in the other. If I go to Cafeteria, very hard to hear. I do better one on one. Email me please!

February 18, 2007 at 11:22 pm
(9) Lorraine says:

I m Hard of hearing and fratuation to find a job I love job n teach asl and interior design, craft etc. help me to find a job i felt those who did discrimination for deaf or hard of hearing it s wrong and should to look skills..I can lipreadng well and with hearing aids i can hear well..

September 15, 2007 at 3:34 pm
(10) Amie says:

I am one of those people who don’t have a job. I went to college back in 01 and graduated 04 in Office Techonlongy in Assocate degree. I never could get a job. So… IT is good to be true.

September 17, 2007 at 4:34 am
(11) David Galyean says:

Hi Potential Employers out there.

First of all: Thank for your courage and thoughtful word of wanting to hire deaf/hoh people. I’m very impressed. However please be advised becoming AWARE of our (deaf’s true inner feelings) for a long time.

As you see: Hearies have the common “doubts-fears” about hiring the deaf employee due to accomodation cost, lawsuit, etc.

Well, We, as a law-abiding deaf citizen in America with total SPARKLING Clean background check record and follow every rules in the book as you would ever imagine. We truly want to work.

But there’s a catch! We do have our doubts and fears because based on our wealth LONG RAP-SHEET history dealing anything from “doing business” to “employment search” with those potential employers out there.

All we have been being treated like: garbage dump, invisible, worthless SCUM! etc etc that we see everything in our eye…. FIRSTHAND! for so many many years (dating back to Adam&Eve) So, to speak in the meantime. It would easily meant approximate 7,000 years worth of heavy discrimination in every nook of book that hearies could think of TOWARD us!

By the way, We, deaf citizen do have “bad memory scars” from formerly working in some workplace and left the company feeling total BITTER and don’t even want to bother applying for jobs with those potential employers AFTER KNOWING WHAT IT IS LIKE BEING MISTREATED by those potential employers out there!

Now, You, Hearing people. I’m sure it would natrually help you relaize we are human-beings and have same doubts, fears, bad memories left behind by hearies themselves!!!!!!

So now-No wonder why it has been totally FRUSTRATING for hearies TRYING to find a top-qualified productive deaf employee. Your loss! You asked for it!

We never bash, bad-mouthed, discrminiate, stomped down hearing people in the workplace, Have we?

Now, I’m sure it would become appearant obvious where the problem is for you, Hearing potential employer to figure out what it is :)

It’s all about HEARING PEOPLE themselves!!!!!! causing a chaos mess in the workplace! I’m sorry that I had to say that but with my wealth exprience growing up for abit over 40 years in America- Washington State-to be exact. I know what it is alike among those hearing people regardless how nice or how mean they are. They are all the SAME!!!!!!!!

Oh oops pardon, Wait a minute??? Aren’t all hearies the same??? Well, If it’s NOT THE CASE??? Same thing!!!!!!! All deaf individual in america isn’t even the SAME either!!!!!

Again, Thank for your wonderful time listening and learning about our deaf’s exprience exposure, feelings, opinion and voice from all of us to you, Hearing people :) I sincerely hoped that it would become a good education tool for all of you, too.

Have a wonderful week!
Take care,

David

October 11, 2007 at 9:12 am
(12) Marcia says:

I’ve never really had a problem getting jobs before, all I ask is please don’t ask me to answer the telephone cause my little piece of ears barely works and I don’t want the company loosing potential clients.

These days it seems like there is no room for us anymore. Oh well..maybe we should all just band together and start our own company or something

March 26, 2008 at 4:54 pm
(13) ERIC M . BEAN says:

i am eric m. bean,deaf. 32yrs old!RECENTLY I INTERVIEW ABOUT A JOB, CANT HIRE ME TO WORK CAUSE I NOT QUALIFTY CAUSE DEAF! SAD.

May 1, 2008 at 6:22 am
(14) Devin says:

I own an auto repair business in Southern California that is always looking to hire from the deaf community. we currently have 2 deaf employees and they are doing a great job. I will post the job details below. Feel free to contact me if you are interested.

Position:
Repair Technician

Date posted:
05/01/08 (Open until filled)

Where: Positions available in Orange County, Riverside County, Los Angeles County, and San Bernardino County.
Brief summary of duties:
Repair scratched alloy wheels from a truck provided by the company.

Minimum Qualification Requirements:
- Clean Driving record.
- Ability to work outdoors.
- We train workers.

Pay: $10 per hour while training and raise after you have learned.

How to apply:
Contact us anytime

D&M Auto Services Inc.
Text: 310.529.4076
EMAIL: Service@DrWheel.com

October 2, 2008 at 8:03 pm
(15) Jonathan W. says:

Hi my name is Jonathan! I am deaf and cannot find a job on my own because people tend to not want to hire someone who can’t hear. I want to work, I have a son I need to take care of. I live in San Antonio, Texas. So if any of you have an idea of where to apply. Tell me!

October 6, 2008 at 6:10 pm
(16) Stephanie S says:

As a deaf individual I understand how hard it is to find a job. Recently I got laid off due to a major financial companies downfall (wall street), and have been continuosly looking. I keep hearing companies want deaf individual but I haven’t found any. A common misconseption is that we can’t use the telephone and won’t be able to function. I personally used my telephone everyday to speak to people that would never know the difference unless maybe they looked in my ears. I’m very fustrtaed and trying to find a job in NY any ideas or suggestions please let me know. Thanks.

November 5, 2008 at 5:09 pm
(17) Julie Shelton says:

This is to David Galyean!

My hat is off to you! You took the words right out of my mouth! I can’t beleive it! Everything you had to say was dead on! I started to cry. I soo no what you have been going through. I am a hard worker and I can’t seem to keep a job because of my profound hearing loss.And like you I always lay low after getting dismissed, until I can pick myself up again and hit the ground running for more abuse from employers. I don’t know how much more I can take. Julie.

November 26, 2008 at 11:33 pm
(18) jacqueline says:

hi im 20 yrs old im a deaf please help me.. i’m looking for a job but no one gonna hired me and i have a 2 months baby i really need to work please help me.. please email me…

November 26, 2008 at 11:42 pm
(19) jacquelione says:

please help me im a deaf i love to work but no one gonna hired me please help me i really need to work. i have 2 month son to take care of it.please hired me im almost three years here right now i don’t have a job… (crying….) please email me…

December 20, 2008 at 1:06 pm
(20) Rohmaya says:

Has anyone ever explored the possibility of insisting that oral communications skills aren’t necessary for jobs a, b, and c, and threatening lawsuit under the ADA? That can help to reduce anti-deaf discrimination. Also, insist on deaf friendly interviewing and hiring practices (upon pain of lawsuit, of course).

December 27, 2008 at 11:55 pm
(21) Sherronq says:

I am hoh, my job end in March 08′. I been looking for a job for over 9mos. I notice some deaf/hoh or disability jobs and positions not hiring deaf/hoh due to their qualifications. I find this hard to believe and upset about those organizations. No matter how many times I sent my resume, still don’t hear from them. Until I called them to find out whats up with my resume, they claim the supervior has to review your resume, well if they are looking for deaf/hoh staff, and aware you are deaf/hoh and have the qualifications then whas going on…. I am very frustrated. Not sure what to do next but hope to have work starting the beginning of the year.

December 27, 2008 at 11:58 pm
(22) Sherron says:

We all should post our resumes on here let each of review them to see if we are missing anything.

February 18, 2009 at 4:49 pm
(23) Sarah Glenn-Smith says:

JOB OPENING
Position: EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
Reports To: Board of Directors
Salary: Full time and commensurate with experience
Qualifications: Masters Degree in Business, Human Service or relevant field, or equivalent. Must have a minimum of three years management experience in a non-profit organization. Experience with fundraising and grant writing, budget and financial management, thorough knowledge of Deaf, Hard of Hearing and Hearing Cultures, fluent in American Sign Language. Diplomacy and strong people skills, as well as public speaking ability.

Function:
 Along with the Board of Directors, formulate the plan for achieving the philosophy, mission, strategy, annual goals and objectives of Deaf Adult Services.
 With the Chair of the Board, enable the Board of Directors to fulfill its governance function.

Responsibilities to Organization Personnel and Programs:
 Ensure the organizationís philosophy and mission is pertinent and practiced throughout the organization.
 Assume responsibility for the organizationís consistent achievement of mission and financial objectives. Financial, tax, risk and facilities management- works with the Financial Committee to recommend a yearly budget for Board approval and prudently manages organizationís resources within those budget guidelines.
 Responsible for all staff and organization operations.
 Serve as the chief spokesperson for the organization and ensure proper representation to its various constituencies.

Responsibility to Community:
 Maintains active involvement in, and close relationship to, the Deaf and Interpreting Community and in selected community activities related to the agencyís area of practice. Responsible to address concerns or issues that affect agency, staff or community.
 Develop and maintain liaisons with other community agencies and organizations.
 Maintains up to date ASL and Interpreting Curriculum and class schedules for community sign language classes, oversees and evaluates ASL Instructors.

Send cover letter and resumes to: Deaf Adult Services, Inc. Attention: Executive Director, Search Committee, CONFIDENTIAL at 2495 Main St. Suite 347, Buffalo, NY 14214 by Wednesday, April 1, 2009.

June 11, 2009 at 1:12 pm
(24) Terry says:

I am teaching an intensive employment class to Deaf consumers in Frederick, MD. Most of them are in an entry level skills level. I need all the leads I can get. Thanks for your service!

March 22, 2010 at 12:47 pm
(25) michael says:

i am really still looking for job opportunity adult in some states, any one help me?

May 17, 2010 at 6:36 pm
(26) Phillip says:

I am hearing impaired and I DESPERATELY NEED A JOB! I live in San Antonio, Texas. If you know of someone willing to hire the hearing impaired please email me at philsatx@gmail.com HAVE A FANTASTIC DAY! Phil

December 17, 2010 at 2:56 pm
(27) Smile1 says:

Hello all,
I am seeking jobs everywhere since 3 years and nothing yet. I volunteer at swedish hospital as office assistance and trying to apply as much as I can. so I need some training and get the job done. I am deaf and love to get the job done. Here I am in seattle, WA. so email me anytime, smile1work@yahoo.com.