1. Health

Can Hard Nose Blowing Cause Hearing Loss?

By March 27, 2008

Cris.Rea asked on the forum if blowing the nose hard can cause hearing loss. Soon after too many times of blowing his nose hard, he noticed he was having trouble understanding people and was also having humming in his ear. He wants to know if this will lead to his becoming deaf, and if there is any remedies for this?

Comments
March 28, 2008 at 1:08 am
(1) mishkazena says:

His eardrum may have been affected.

March 28, 2008 at 8:50 am
(2) Julie B says:

I had a friend who was hearing before. He got sick with just a cold. One morning, he woke up without a sound. Anything thats as simple as cold is possible to cause deafness.

March 28, 2008 at 9:10 am
(3) A Deaf Pundit says:

NOTE: I am not a doctor. I am speaking from experience.

If he blows too hard, some of the phlegm can actually go backwards in the Eustachian tubes, clogging it up. That will affect his ability to hear well – and it can also lead to ear infections.

August 21, 2011 at 12:01 am
(4) patrisia says:

Can the condition be cured? Back to normal hearing condition? Thankyou

October 28, 2008 at 5:34 pm
(5) Wendy says:

I had a cold last spring and blew my nose. I got very dizzy and my hearing was clogged for a couple of weeks. It never fully recovered- I lost about 20% and recently, I now have a constant background white noise as well. So YES, you can lose your hearing from blowing your nose.

March 26, 2009 at 2:25 pm
(6) Mark says:

3 months ago, I got out of the shower, blew my nose, and felt/heard a popping noise in my right ear. Ever since there has been a 25% hearing loss. No pain, no fluid, and missing the middle frequencies, and it’s driving me me nuts.

December 30, 2009 at 4:54 pm
(7) rob says:

after reading the comments left here i thought i would add one,i’ve recently had abad cold and still feels like ive still got it,or whats left of it,a week ago i blew my nose to clear it,dureing this process,i heard/felt my left ear pop, now it seems like i’ve only got 20 maybe 25% of sound in this ear,which is starting to really annoy me now,i’ve never had any problems with my hearing and now im not sure so its a trip to the doctors is their any suggestions to what may have caused this….thanks

April 8, 2010 at 11:53 pm
(8) Justin says:

A good thing to do is to protect your earswith the things they sell to protect ears and of course stop to blow you nose to hard. Your hearing capasity will come back, it did for me. From 2 weeks to… It could look weird to some of you, but if you believe you hear correctly, you’re hearing capasity will be better. Good luck, do not forget to rest your ears. Never put anything on or in your ears when you sleep, you could miss alarm bell.

November 9, 2010 at 3:01 am
(9) shane says:

Thank god I’m not the only 1!! It’s scary shit!! I think I can hear 100% but when I talk, it doesn’t sound right, happend when I blew my nose. Is there anything you can buy to sort this problem out?

Thanks.