1. Health

Bangladesh Deaf High School Struggling

By May 5, 2008

The Daily Star, a Bangladesh newspaper, reports that the only deaf high school in the country, Dhaka Bodhir High School, is struggling to survive. Not only is the school in poor physical condition, it is having difficulty getting enough qualified teachers skilled in sign language. They are often forced to hire teachers who do not know sign language yet.

Comments
May 5, 2008 at 10:38 am
(1) RLM says:

We ought to contact the United Nations to set up the funds and committee for the International Deaf Education to help various schools of the deaf around the world.

I once had deaf Bangladelesh males stayed at my former residence near the Union Station (Washington, DC). Those deaf males asked me for lodging after the International Deaf History conference in DC about last ten years ago.

Where are the Muslim deaf activists from wealthy Muslim countries to help out the Bandgaladesh school of the deaf?

I will check out with deaf Arabs from various countries like UAE and Saudi Arabia. My good friend, deaf Saudi Arabian is in his home country right now. I ought to ask him to see if he or other deaf Arabs and Muslims seek the fundings from someone in wealthy Arab countries.

We could demand our own govenrment to meddle into Bangaldesh’s internal govetnment affairs or embrass the Bangaldesh’s corrupted government with press exposures of their own incomptence.

In reality, Bangaldesh is very poor Muslim country with questionable ecological conditions very vulnerable to natural disasters.

Robert L. Mason (RLM)
RLMDEAF blog

May 5, 2008 at 12:25 pm
(2) Jean Boutcher says:

Please contact the president of WFD
(World Federation of the Deaf) as soon as possible.

May 16, 2008 at 2:55 pm
(3) Stacey says:

I have been to the school for the Deaf in Bangladesh. It most definitely is in poor condition as are most of the schools that I toured. The lack of teachers fluent in sign language is a severe hindrance to student learning and future success. Maybe a partnership could be established where teachers of the deaf from the US travel to Bangladesh and help the school become more self sufficient. There also must be some organizations out there that are willing to help monetarily.

June 7, 2008 at 9:35 am
(4) Mohammad Kaiser Parvez says:

DEAR SIR OR MADAM,

GOOD WISHES FROM BANGLADESH. I AM A DEAF OF 32 YEARS.
I AM BORN DEAF AND STUDIED UP TO GRADE 8 IN DHAKA DEAF
JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL. I PASSED THE EXAMINATION IN 1989.
I AM ALSO A LIFE MEMBER OF OUR BANGLADESH NATIONAL
FEDERATION OF THE DEAF IN BANGLADESH. MY GREATEST
HOBBY IS TO LEARN FOR SIGN LANGUAGE. HERE LEARN SYSTEM
IS NOT SO GOOD. I AM VERY INTERESTED TO PRACTICE SIGN
LANGUAGE LEARN IN ARABIC. I WOULD LIKE TO TAKE A COURSE
THE NEW ARABIC SIGN PROGRAM IS
IMPROVE SIGN LANGUAGE SKILLS.

UNFORTUNATELY IN BANGLADESH, A THIRD WORLD DEVELOPING
COUNTRY AS YOU KNOW HAS VERY LIMITED AMOUNT OF FOREIGN
EXCHANGE. PLEASE LET ME KNOW THE RULES AND REGULATIONS
FOR ADMISSION OF YOUR INSTITUTION AND SEND ME A
BROCHURE DESCRIBING THE CURRICULUM. SO I APPROACH YOU
KINDLY TO HELP ME WITH NECESSARY FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE
TO ATTEND THE DESIRED EDUCATION IN THE ADULT EDUCATION
IN ARAB. IN CASE OF YOUR SHORTAGE OF BUDGET, PARTIAL
FINANCIAL SUPPORT WOULD BE MUCH BENEFICIAL. I EXPECT
YOUR KIND CO-OPERATION.

I SHALL LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU SOON. KINDLY
RESPOND BY E-MAIL AT YOUR EARLIEST CONVENIENCE.

THANKING YOU AND WITH MY HEARTIEST GREETINGS.

SINCERELY YOURS,

MOHAMMAD KAISER PARVEZ
ALIPUR HOUSE (2ND FLOOR)
48, SIDDESWARI ROAD,
DHAKA – 1217
BANGLADESH
E-MAIL: parvezkaiser@yahoo.com

January 26, 2009 at 11:15 am
(5) Anika Rahman says:

Hi everyone,

I have been woking with the deaf community in Bangladesh for almost 6 years. Mainly to promote an empowerment process, so that the deaf youth of BD can do their own advocacy themselves. but due to manipulation by some corrupt hearing people these people are failing to unit and take the advantage of opportunities, specially the ones my organization is trying to and has been creating. deaf community should stop listening to other people and do their own research. they should form a group with graduat deaf (which is very hard to find in BD as most of them stop to attend school after grade 8th as all 7 special school for the deaf run by the government teaches up to this grade). We need deaf leaders who can be objective and unbiased. They need to stand united against the conspiracy of the hearing people specially who are only intersted to go to abroad as interpters but never do any thing for the promotion of sign language.in fact these people do not want it, as this will destroy their monopoly. if the number of interpreters remains few, they can continue to manipulate the deaf community of Bangladesh.

July 31, 2011 at 11:28 pm
(6) Arif Ahmed says:

Hi,
thanks for your writing. Could you please give us list of those school. cause i want to send one of my cousin to deaf school. he is from chandpur. please help me.
thanks again
arif
dhaka

May 22, 2009 at 6:46 am
(7) dipak kumar aich says:

i am a special educator living in kolkata. i have completed my diploma in special education for the hearoing impaired , now i am doing b.ed from AYJNIHH, ERC.
i am trying to do a job for the betterment of the deaf people of bangladesh. plz inform me about the way , so that i can reach to my goal
my email—dipakkumar22@yahoo.co.in
+91-9836544796

June 20, 2010 at 11:46 am
(8) tareq rayhan says:

Its too tough for a country like bd to ensure better education for hearing impaired children. here there are no skill people to promote it……we r waiting for someone.
i m also a graduate from special education……but now i m not working on the field bcoz of financial crisis . i m working as a journalist but i want to do something for the special need hearing people.

May 20, 2011 at 9:51 am
(9) Tousif Farhad says:

Dear Mr. Tareq Rayhan,
1 Initiative is a platform of young, energetic student leaders who want to inform and inspire youth in Dhaka (Bangladesh) and put them on the trajectory of youth-led development. 1dI is a non-profit organization that aims to make a difference in the lives of young people. It operates independently of any religious, political or commercial organizations. These youngsters are passionately interested to craft a change in the country and also motivate others to do the same. This is their effort to turn their dreams into reality. They have named themselves as `One Degree Initiative`, because of their motto that a small, 1 change can make a huge difference. 1 is all it takes to turn ice into water; 1 is all it takes to revolutionize one`s mind – so a 1 change can indeed be the most significant change.

Recently we are trying to come up with a project for the hearing impaired community of Bangladesh and we would very much appreciate your co-operation.
One Degree Initiative is a registered organization and it is supported by the corporate and the youth of our society and has over 100 project records all over the world.
If you are willing to help us in this noble cause then please contact us.

Tousif Farhad
Member, Executive Committee
One Degree Initiative

For more info:
info@1di.org l http://www.1di.org l tousif@1di.org

March 29, 2012 at 7:01 pm
(10) David Bennett says:

I have a question. Does anyone in Dhaka, or other city of BD, know of any churches that teach Sign Language? Do any churches help the Deaf in BD? If so, what is the name of the person responsible and the address of the churches where Deaf can go to get help?

Often people in government are corrupt. (Some in churches too.) However, in many countries the Deaf can get help in some churches or from some religious organization. Does that exist in BD for Deaf? Or does that mean there are NO religious organizations working with Deaf in BD? You may email me with response at david.swmi@gmail.com Thank you.