1. Health

Goodbye After 15 Years

By February 24, 2012

Dear Readers,

The time has come to say goodbye. I will not be a guide for About.com anymore after the end of March. I knew I would be writing this blog post someday, and now someday is here.  It has been a long ride, since About.com begain in April 1997. I never expected it to last this long. You will still have a guide for deafness (and hard of hearing) - it just won't be me. I do not know who my replacement will be, but most likely it will be someone with a medical background who can better address the medical side of deafness and hearing loss than I can.

The articles and other things I have created over the years, will stay on the site, both good and bad. The new guide will write new articles for you to read. Perhaps the new guide will be able to take things I have done as the years went by, and improve on them.

A friend asked me what will I do with my newly freed time and energy after leaving About.com? I have a demanding full time job outside of About.com, which I had always done part-time. For the past two years that naturally limited how much I could do for both About.com and Caption Action 2 (http://www.causes.com/captionaction2), the Facebook cause I originally created to get a law passed in Congress to require internet captioning.

Now that I will not be a guide anymore, I will have more time and energy to devote to Caption Action 2. Although we have the new law, Caption Action 2 is still needed because of a major loophole in the 21st Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act that was signed into law in October 2010. What is that loophole? The loophole is that the new Internet captioning requirements do NOT apply to any programming developed specifically for the Internet. This means, for example, that new, professionally done channels on YouTube are not required to closed caption their video content.

Comments
February 25, 2012 at 5:51 am
(1) Melissa says:

You will be missed. I’ve been reading your blog for advice for more than a year, and I want to thank you for all of your hard work and efforts. Best of luck in the future!

February 25, 2012 at 5:53 am
(2) Melissa says:

You will be missed. I have been reading your articles for years. I want to thank you for your efforts and wish you best of luck in the future. (Signed, a 19-year-old hearing person learning ASL)

February 25, 2012 at 10:39 am
(3) Megan says:

Thanks so much for your work for About.com over the years. I appreciate the information you’ve made available. :)

February 28, 2012 at 8:51 pm
(4) Aziza Tyabji says:

Dear Jamie,
The information you have provided over the years have been of such great help to thousands of professionals and children. I wish this wasn’t happening! ! will really miss you.
Wish you all the best

February 28, 2012 at 9:06 pm
(5) annie says:

Sorry to see you go Jamie…..thanks for all your news letters.
Best of luck to you:)

February 28, 2012 at 9:51 pm
(6) Pat says:

Thank you for your dedication to educating us in many different areas and keeping us current on research and legislation. I am excited that you will be able to focus more on Caption Action 2. Although I am hearing, I use captioning often (helps me defeat background noise, and helps me catch dialogue that isn’t spoken clearly). May God bless your future endeavors!

February 28, 2012 at 10:59 pm
(7) Patty Good says:

Thank you, Jamie for the information and guidance you have provided all of us concerning Deaf and Hard of hearing issues. You will be missed here, and I sincerely hope your successor in this position will continue to bring the insight that you have consistently provided from the Deaf point of view.
I am also excited about your other job. Captioning is such a critical function especially now with so much informational content available in video format on the Internet. Now is the time to make sure high quality and accurate captioning is consistently available on the Internet. We’ll be watching! Best regards to you! !

February 29, 2012 at 12:15 am
(8) Barb says:

I will miss looking forward to whatever you chose to write. I have been getting your articles for quite a few years now. Good Luck in your future adventures.

February 29, 2012 at 1:29 am
(9) Janice says:

Jamie, you will be missed. I’ve been subscribed to your updates for years. Sometimes deaf.about.com would be the first place I learned about some important thing, and that has made your blog important to me.

You will certainly not be missed as I watch for your progressive support of and the continued successes of Caption Action!

February 29, 2012 at 4:46 am
(10) john benn says:

Life goes on, it’s a fact. Just when I was getting used to your regular bulletins, I have to get used to the fact that Jamie is moving on.

I’ll miss you, honestly. Whilst I’ve never met you, your ‘voice’ is a great encouragement to all deaf folks who find themselves at odds with the rest of the world. That ‘voice’ cheers and the ability to create positive vibrations through your work is a wonderful and compassionate gift.

I wish you well – from the other side of the Atlantic – and thank you for all your efforts. Sincerely yours, John Benn.

February 29, 2012 at 5:49 am
(11) Amy Bopp says:

I can’t imagine there being a replacement for you! Three people would be needed to fill your shoes: One for deaf ASL, one for hard of hearing and one for late deafned!
Thanks for all of the good years of being a Guide on About.com.
Wishing you success in your efforts to make captioning become automatic for the audio portions of the Internet!
When people send me links to watch, I won’t be wasting my time anymore opening them, only to find they are NOT captioned.
My best to you now and always,

Amy Bopp
Baltimore, Maryland

February 29, 2012 at 6:46 am
(12) Faith says:

I discovered About.com and you as a guide less than a year ago. I have always loved reading your articles and have looked forward to many more years of it. I am sad to see you go, but wish you all the best on your journey. Thanks so much for your insight and assistance – albeit through your articles, but know you’ve helped many of us.

*hugs*

February 29, 2012 at 7:39 am
(13) Barbara Rolek says:

Good luck, Jamie. Sorry you are leaving About.com. Great good luck to you in the future.

Barbara Rolek
Guide to Eastern European Food for About.com

February 29, 2012 at 8:23 am
(14) debbie fowler says:

I will really miss your news, but glad you’re going to still help in the deaf area, captioning stuff. good thing I saved the articles:}

February 29, 2012 at 9:40 am
(15) Marsha says:

Jamie
You have done an outstanding job for the the 15 years. I did not find you until 10 years ago. You have provided the most interesting and informative documenation in the all areas of deafness
I was able to benefit from the information due to my position as Statewide Coordinator for a Children and Family Services.at a child welfare agency.
I wish you the very best and know you were greatly appreciated.
Marsha

February 29, 2012 at 10:36 am
(16) Tina Rhodes says:

You will be missed! I’ve been going to your site for almost 10 years and have benefited so much from your information, your articles your comments. I hope your replacement will be able to maintain the standards you set!

February 29, 2012 at 7:43 pm
(17) Mary Yamada says:

Thank you for all that you have done for us; I have enjoyed reading your column very much, and sometimes I even left a remark.
Best wishes and much success in your ongoing efforts to help hearing-impaired people.
I will miss you.
Mary Yamada

February 29, 2012 at 7:59 pm
(18) WadeMoores says:

you will be missed learned a lot from you letters thank you hope you enjoy whatever you choose to do

February 29, 2012 at 8:37 pm
(19) Barbara says:

Jamie
I am sorry to hear you are leaving about.com. I have found your articles helpful with understanding the deaf community and deaf experiences people encounter in their daily lives. I wish you all the best.
Take Care

March 1, 2012 at 11:08 am
(20) Elaine says:

I’ve always enjoyed your articles especially it covering a variety of topics. I am across from the Atlantic with cochlear implants. It will be sad to see you go but do hope that you will enjoy devoting more time to your mission that is important to you.

Good luck and enjoy the freedom! You only live once!

March 1, 2012 at 6:53 pm
(21) Catherine White says:

I have enjoyed your newsletter for many years and I will your letters but I will be following your blog.

March 2, 2012 at 4:37 pm
(22) Leslie says:

It’s always hard to say good bye and when someone does a great job as you did sharing the information you have shared with all of us in the last 15 years. I have used alot of your information on my research here for work and working with people with hearing loss.
I wish you well, and good health and please know, your last 15 years here was not a waste of time. I hope they will keep us posted on your new agenda wiht the Captioning 2.
Take care and good luck!

March 5, 2012 at 5:58 pm
(23) maryann says:

Will miss you. Best of everything in your future. I will have to learn about Blogs now.

March 8, 2012 at 10:38 am
(24) Rita E.C. says:

Thank you so very much for all you have done on “About.com”.
I looked forward to the articles, and your comments.
I have been reading your work ever since I learned about “CRS”, and started looking up information about the “Rubella” virus.
God Bless you, and much luck on your future endeavors.
I am thankful that you are continuing with your blog, & I will be following it as well!

March 9, 2012 at 1:30 pm
(25) Jeanne Griffin says:

Best wishes to you, Jamie! Sounds like you’ll keep plenty busy with all of your other activities. I’ve enjoyed reading your About.com articles all of these many years!