Fans of 1970s TV, comic book fans, and those who are deaf or hard of hearing people may remember Lou Ferrigno's performance as the Incredible Hulk. This hard of hearing former sheet metal worker and bodybuilder became an instant role model for deaf and hard of hearing youth. Winner of major bodybuilding titles when only in his early twenties, Ferrigno is mentioned in Jack Gannon's Deaf Heritage, which has a large photo of him as the Hulk.
Lou Ferrigno's Hard of Hearing Childhood
Ferrigno was motivated to become a bodybuilder as a teenager by an experience all too common to hearing impaired youth of the 1970s -- he was teased by peers for being hard of hearing. I can remember reading newspaper articles about him in the 1970s, where he talked about having been called "Deaf Louie." His bodybuilding led to his memorable role as the Hulk.
Lou Ferrigno's Acting CareerHowever, his acting experience includes far more than just his role as the Hulk. For example, Lou Ferrigno has played Hercules. His filmography lists almost 30 TV and film appearances.
Ferrigno has a cameo in the 2008 "Hulk" movie, playing a security guard. USA Today featured an article titled "Lou Ferrigno looks back, and luckily not in anger" (June 16, 2008) in which he was interviewed about his current role and past experiences as the Hulk.
Lou Ferrigno's Present Career
Today, Lou Ferrigno focuses on bodybuilding education instead of acting. Through his web site, he offers booklets on bodybuilding and his own book on bodybuilding - Lou Ferrigno's Guide to Personal Power, Bodybuilding and Fitness for Everyone. In addition, both he and his wife Carla offer personal fitness training services to residents of the Los Angeles, California region.
Ferrigno also has a cameo in the Hulk movie that came out in summer 2003.
Lou Ferrigno on VideoThese are some of the available DVDs of the Incredible Hulk television series:
- The Incredible Hulk - The Television Series Ultimate Collection (compare prices)
- The Incredible Hulk: Original Television Premiere (compare prices)
- The Incredible Hulk Collection (compare prices)
- The Death of the Incredible Hulk (compare prices)
More Lou Ferrigno
- LouFerrigno.com - This is the official web site for Lou Ferrigno, with the book and booklets, and a photo gallery.
- Ferrigno Achieved Superhero Dreams - This newspaper article (The Herald, Sharon, PA, Thursday, October 7, 1999) addresses Ferrigno's hearing loss and its effects, including the fact that in the '70s a television network would not run an interview with him on account of his unclear speech. Today, that same network would probably jump at the chance to interview, using an interpreter.
Hulk-Related Content on About
About.com:Sci-Fi/Fantasy:Hulk - from About.com's Science Fiction and Fantasy guide.